1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Contractor Lettering?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BigBoyPlowin, Dec 1, 2012.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Ok well I have a few questions in regards to Sub Contractors...

Do you make your contrators remove their lettering while plowing for you in their truck?

I Know we dont allow lettering on their trucks with their name or number on it while plowing for me. With no exceptions.

Do you give contractors your magnets to put on their trucks or just have them go "Naked" with no lettering on their truck at all?!?!

2. BigBoyPlowin

no one????

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I would have a have a hard time with you telling me to remove my lettering off my truck. A sub is just that a sub, you can tell them what the job is to look like once finished, that's about it. In addition the lettering is required for DOT in many cases. Again that's just me though.

4. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Think about it like this, when you own a dump truck you have it lettered with your name on the door. If you hire it out to a larger construction company you are a sub contractor, they do not make you take you name off the door. I would not work for someone who told me I had to take my lettering off my door. After all, a sub is a sub, the truck is not owned by you, it's hired on by you.

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

No, I would not take off(nor can I) or cover my lettering to work for anybody, If they dont want other companies to "advertise" then they should be using there own trucks.

6. BigBoyPlowin

I guess you're right... I know for a fact that at 4 of my pickier sites (Same manager) i will have one of my guys and a sub on.. He'll flip if he knows we partially subbed it out.. These are all pickup trucks plowing. I guess i've just gotten lucky in the past and none of my subs had lettering of any-kind on their trucks. I have paid for a re-lettering before.. The guy removed his little lettering on the window for me and i replaced it in the spring. (Money must-a been good to him) THink it is 60 bucks a season.. Nothing too bad.
    And i hope this doesnt turn into another USDOT argument but for us (SE Michiganders at least) Dont need USDOTS any more.

7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Not that my truck is lettered at this point in time (nor will it be), in the past I ran several trucks which all were lettered. I subbed out two of them for a couple of years to two different contractors and they never said a word about it. If they had, I'd have told them where to stick it. As BC said, if they're so high and mighty, why don't they buy more trucks and do everything in house?

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

As ridiculous as they are for not wanting to see you use a sub contractor, If they actually do complain why not just say you had a break down and needed to call someone in so that they got the service they paid for.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've often wondered about how that goes over. Do you tell them in advance that you are subbing out the work or just not mention it? I've never been a sub, nor have I ever wanted other companies on my sites. I know that subcontracting is common place but would worry about losing the job to them next year or at the end of the contract. Non-compete clauses maybe?

I would also not think you could make subs cover or remove their lettering.

10. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I will act as the facilitator to this discussion....

Why do you all think a property manager would NOT want subs on his properties? Do you think its because he wants all one color trucks running around or do you think he has better reasons to be so strongly against it?

11. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

No, they aren't my trucks. Why would someone want to do something like that??

Why is that????

Why would he flip???

12. BC Handyman

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think it's very relevant. If a client hires me to do the work and then they see Billy Bob's Plowing clearing the lot, and doing it well, because that's how I demand the work to be performed...Why wouldn't they call Billy Bob next year to see if he can do his good work cheaper than my price?

14. BigBoyPlowin

I have never told any of my clients i hired subs. Why? Because when they envision a sub contractor they think about a guy with a plow truck who has no idea what he doing. Or a dangerous person behind the wheel who is capable of damaging their facility. They feel if you cant handle the account you shouldn't have it. But really we Can handle it.. Its just we're all out during the storm for XX about of hours between the salting and plowing, Why not decrease that number by 5-15 hours by having a few more drivers.

In terms of competition, I feel if you went up to a manager and said you have been plowing this lot for the whole winter and would like to do it cheaper, I believe my prop. manager would see what was going on and refuse the proposal. Yeah you have to stay away from those types of companies, but it can happen... But we've had alot of long term companies, (for more than 10 years longterm) At that rate, some leave and come back... but thats business. We've been lucky to find a lot of workers who Just have a plow truck & Want to plow or Carpenters who also plow for money. This is why we have never had a problem with lettering because they usually already dont have it.
    All my subs go through and extensive background check and carry liability so therefore my accounts are safe if something happens.

This is why you take your name off. haha Its my account and you're having the PRIVILEGE of plowing at it. I talked to my buddy and he says its like a uniform, he doesnt allow it either. He also stated that he doesent allow his guys to wear ex landscaping co. jackets to work.... He does provide coats for his guys. I know it sounds like we're sooooooo mean but in reality many guys who are in the situation dont really have a problem with it.

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Are you for real?

16. BC Handyman

Well I do alot of sub work & if it was me working with you, I would have a big problem with it. Though I'm sure your right that alot of guys wont care too much

Please don't think I'm not knocking what your saying, just trying to give you a contrasting opinion, in the spirit of adding to the conversationThumbs Up

17. BigBoyPlowin

Yes, Its not like the contract specifically said I cant use another reliable worker. There will NEVER be a time when my subs aren't accompanied by one of my full time workers. Im not the only one who has used sub contractors am I? I think i will change around our route so our couple subs are at different facilities.. that might be a better idea. Please inform me what you/ your co. would do in this situation.

I appreciate it. No hard feelings! As long as there are no direct blows towards me I am completely fine with hearing ones rational opinion.

18. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

This is really interesting. I have often woundered how subs with lettering and there employer work this out. My friend plows for me sometimes if I get behind. His truck is letterd (he is a general contractor) not one person has ever said anything about his truck being on my job (plowing or mowing)

I think if some one were to say some thing just tell them that the sub is a trusted colleague and has all of the proper insurance

19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If it doesn't state this, then why do you say this?

20. BigBoyPlowin

His holy book probably wouldnt think that would be ethical...