1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Contractor Issues....what do I do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northeastrealty, Feb 9, 2010.

1. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

Hey guys,
    I just got back into plowing this season, and have my own accounts. Doing fine with that, but was originally buying a sander and that deal fell through. A local contractor that I have known for some time now was looking for some extra help, and as I didnt get back all the accounts that I thought I was going to have, I ended up dedicating one of my trucks to him to help him out (my driver,My truck). I have close to $2000 in invoices for just him. The original deal was that I was to be paid within 10 days after a snow event (1" trigger at all times). To date, he has paid me a humourous lousy $100. He claims he's not getting paid by his clients. Now many of you would say, tell him to pound sand, but my major dillema is he sands my accounts, we split the cost down the middle. I am hanging in there only because of that. My major issue is not merely the money but more his word of paying me within 10 days. I told him today that I will not send my truck and driver unless he squares away with me. Should I do that??? Never plowed as a sub before so not sure what I should do?
    Please let me know!!!!:realmad:

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Well, you have already said it, wait and see what happens. He broke his deal with you, but you have a relationship with the sanding, so hopefully you are not out there driving slowly with a guy out the back throwing!

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

You should of contracted it out what i mean by that is. You should of paid him to sand for a set price that be one deal. Then agree on him paying you for your truck at whatever rate is agreeable then see where it came out. Then everybody knows they got a fair shake

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

So hes trying to say only 5% of his customers paid him, or at least thats what hes trying to make you believe. Somethings not right there big time. No way would I plow for him this storm. Know any other local guys you could sub out the sanding to? If theyre not huge accounts get a push spreader and bags. Anything to keep your accounts serviced while cutting dealings with the other guy.

5. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

Thanks guys for your responses. I called a bunch of other locals who have sanders and they want way too much money... I mean i have a 3 acre lot that this guy is charging me $100 to sand, and im charging alot more on my end. What sucks besides me not getting paid by him, is that he sands, and I dont need to do a damn thing, no getting up at 3am for ice events....you know!!! But I already told him a little while ago unless i have a check in my hands by 12 tomorrow I am not sending my truck. He promises he will pay me...

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep shopping for a snading company and tell the guy "small claims" court is next

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You've been taken for a chump. Very few of us have enough commercial clients that pay us within ten days that we could tell a sub they'll be paid within ten also.

Unless this guy was sitting on thousands in cash reserves which somehow evaporated since his promise, he outright lied to you... now you get to chase your money until you tire of it or except a lesser payment just to rid yourself of the hassle -and he wins.

Find another sand guy and tell this guy to pound it.

8. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf Member

get the 2k and buy your own spreader!

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

time to buy yourself a small spreader, and take this guy to small claims, if you want to get really nasty, go to the accounts and inquire on if he has been paid, because you haven't

10. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

Yeah I've been pricing things out. I know I sound like a sucker dealing with him. Funny part is, he barely got one of his own accounts back (the one that he subbed out to me) . For 5 straight years he's had nothing but complaints there year after year, but thru 9 events so far this season he hasn't gotten any complaints at all, as a matter of fact everytime I'm there people come out and commend the work my crew and I do. So I bust my rear, make him look the balls, and not get paid? You would think I would be a priority to pay upto date. Again, honestly I don't care about the money, cause the sanding is coming off the bill he owes me, my main issue is his word, something I take very seriously. The last storm I was contemplating not shjowing up, but I didn't want to resort to loser contractors level. I'm a strong believer of a gentlemans handshake. Am I the onlyone left that believes in that?

11. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Funny you should make this comment. I was out salting the other morning & the lot next door to mine had that exact thing going on. The guy in the back kept screaming at the driver to look at what we had on the back of our truck & maybe he should invest in a spreader, he kept getting louder with each round. :laughing:

12. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

13. buckwheat_la

i know i am going to catch a load of cr@p for this, but have you considered going to the contract, and letting them know you well no longer be doing the lot due to non payment, and LEAVE A CARD!!!, this guy is a piece of work, and deserves what he gets, there are misunderstandings, then there are guys that are purposely jerking their subs around.

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing:Back when I was a kid, I had a boss that made me do this (ironically in Brampton , Mississauga, Toronto.) Me thinks you saw us...:laughing: Maybe that's how I learned to be thrifty with the salt.:laughing: I've come a loooooong way.

15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

TALK IS CHEAP

This is the first time in 15 years I have done this, but it worked.
    I have been chasing an account for a month for payments. We got our first Feb storm about a week ago, now I had 2 payments 30 days out, one 60. My guys called about going out (we were ready to run), I told them no.
    Funny next morning conversation goes like this at 8:40 am (they get there at 8:30), Her "We need to be plowed", Me "Do you have a check" Her "Let me make a few calls", I got a call around noon that check was there for everything due (almost 9 K), we plowed it right then, went to there bank to verify it was good, then depoisted it at mine. I also gave the contractor that plows next door a heads up, turns out he had to take them to court last season to get paid.

16. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

Update.....I just got a check that was short a couple hundred. He's been nervous becuz I told him I am not showing up unless I'm paid to date. I noticed the shortage on the check, and looked at the attached invoice breaking down all the sandings he did for me, and he has 4 sandings on there that I know nothing about. I checked my records, on those days it didn't even snow or ice....
    WTF!!!!!!!' I'm done now. I never wanted so bad to steal an account away from someone so freaking bad.
    Thanks to you all for your input.

17. dubge

dubge Junior Member
    from Boston

I am new to sanding and only have a tailgate sander but if you need help maybe we can work something out. I am in Peabody

18. northeastrealty

northeastrealty Member

thanks dubge, i need alot of sand dropped for these places

19. buckwheat_la

don't you just love jerks like that, serves him right if you walk away with a couple of his accounts JMO

20. dubge

dubge Junior Member
    from Boston

ya I 3 acre lot might be a bit much for a TG sander but like I said that sander is new and I only have 1 or 2 accounts that want sand at the end of the storms and have nothing in place for ice events so if I can ever help you out let me know, I am always looking to pick up a little extra work :)