1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub contracting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Schwinn68, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I'm looking at subbing out my truck to plow this year. I have a 3/4 ton chevy duramax. I'll be going to look at a plow tomorrow. What are some of the things I need to take into account? what kind of insurance will I need? Do I need commercial plates on my truck? I'm looking at getting paid 60-65 an hour to do big commercial lots. any help would be appreciated.

2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

first you need to tell them to give ya some more money...you got a pretty beefy truck as it is and depending on how big of a plow you get, im assuming at least an 8 footer, you should be askin for more. im doing all commercial lots, some big ones and all ive got is a 1500 with a 7.5, my first year plowing and im gettin 80 an hour. starting this late in the season, gonna take ya a lil while just to recoup the plow cost and after insurance, taxes and possible repairs you might not end up makin much at all if anything this year. just my .02 cents

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. the plow is only going to cost me as much as it takes to hook it to my truck. I'm borrowing one from my future father in law. I figured there was still about 2 strong months of snow left this year. I'm not trying to get rich, just get myself set up with a chance to still make some money this year and really be ready for next year. I'll talk to my insurance agent today to find out what that will cost me. As far as maintenance goes, I always take great care of my truck and I'm a welder by trade. Thanks for the advice

4. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Schwinn:

I am only speaking from the KC MO standpoint. Almost everybody here pays by the job that means it is set price and if it take you one hour or four it is all the same. I have worked for four different contractors and that is how they did it. If it is any different than that than I am not sure what to say. Most contractors are going to expect you to have commercial insurance on your truck and a general liability policy. I know that most guys have a 500K on truck and 1 million General Libality. If you can afford it go for two on the GL then that is even better as some of the larger places like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc... require you two have 2 million. I have never been asked but make sure and find out if you need Workmens comp. Also expect to not make much if anything. I pay about 1400 on the GL for the truck, plow and spreader and around $600 for the truck. Just something to think about.

Matt

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's a lot of $$ for what you're using. Do you get paid travel time too? Are you booking big hours? If not, then nevermind. $60-65 is average around here for a straight blade, high for some companies. Especially first year?? I know companies here that bid that much per hour. I'm sure you know what your doing, but I have experienced guys that will probably push a large lot in half the time than the average person his first time out. I pay $55 or so to subs with straight blades depending on size and truck. They're on the clock from start to stop and are getting good hours. $80 sounds good, but when it's 15, 25, 40 mins at a time, it's actually not. My BIL used to brag b/c he made $10 more than I did when we first started. We'd compare monthly earnings and I'd more than double him every time. He didn't get paid travel time and had a bigger route (smaller lots, but a big area span).

I'm not doubting you, but don't want Schwinn to think he's going to find work already into the season for top dollar.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

let me guess you are trying to get a job with Snow Systems ?
    they are about the only company i know of that pays $65. every one else is in the $75 - $100 an hour range.

looks like your south of the city but if you don't mind a little drive up north i can hook you up with the # of the company i work for. with a 7.5 blade and no experience you will probably get $75 an hour.

7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

yea, think on average guys are makin 75-100 maybe even 120 up here for sub work. i dont get paid travel time, all my lots are really close together. got a few big ones that take a couple hours and a couple smaller ones. i do it kinda on the side, got a full time job too so do it when i can during the week and whenever on the weekends. bookin about 75% of what the full time guys are id say, havent had many day storms out here during the week.

Also schwinn88 everyone takes good care of their trucks, no breakdowns or problems are expected just one of those things. and you see how much insurance is. i would try and get more if you can and if not itll be a good way to get experience but why not make as much as you can while doing it is the way i look at it. good luck :drinkup:

8. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

If you are borrowing the plow to try it why not just borrow the entire truck and try it?

9. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I don't think it's snow systems but it could be. It's either for a buddy's landscaping company or a contact of my future father in law. I went and looked at the plow and it's not going to work like I had hoped. It's and older meyer 7.5 but it's mounted on a 96 1500 chevy. I thought the plow was going to be the type that the lights and everything stayed with the plow but it's not. I was going to borrow it from my father in law and just get my own brackets for my truck but that's not gonna work now. I'm waiting on a call now for another option for a plow so I'm not done yet.
    I wouldn't mind a drive up north if the money was right and there was hours to be had. I'll let you know if I'm able to secure a plow to use. thanks

10. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

It's insured through his company. It's a long story but it's one of those things where if it was going to be easy I was going to borrow it but I'm not going to push the issue. Everyone know's how it is to deal with family. Favors are never simple