1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-Contracting Rates???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by kmamark2000, Oct 15, 2012.

1. kmamark2000

kmamark2000 Senior Member

I was asked how much I would charge on an hourly rate as a sub-contractor. I would provide my own equipment for plowing. I have no idea what to charge. So here's my question, What is the going rate? I am in the Northwest Indiana region (outside of Chicago).

Thanks for your help.

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I think its hard for anyone to answer that question who is not in NW Indiana. One option is to negotiate with the contractor for a percentage of what he gets for each property you do.

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

If you are just in a truck I wouldn't do it for anything less than $50/hr. Skid loader nothing less than $85/hr.

4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I wouldn't get off the couch for $50 a hour

5. RefinedPS

RefinedPS Senior Member

In West Michigan for an 8' straight on a 3/4 ton truck I get between $45-50/hr. :realmad: I'm sure you can get more in the windy city. Good luck! :salute:

6. kmamark2000

Holy cow batman! you guys are expensive.. LOL. I have been working WAY too cheap. I figured $25-30 an hour. Thank every for the heads up!.

7. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

Indianapolis is about $65, skid loader is $85. Obviously, that can vary through contractors.

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

It's all location, location, location

9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How can you put gas in the tank for that rate? Thats what i get to drive other peoples trucks. I would rather stay home

10. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

If you have a Commercial Auto Insurance plus a General Liability Insurance at $25-30 an hour would barley cover the insurance no less other costs involved

11. kmamark2000

that brings me to another question. What are you guiys paying for GL and Commercial Auto Ins?

I am paying $67 a month for GL and $49 a month for Commercial Auto Insurance.

I have never charged an hourly rate as a sub-contractor. I have only charged per job. I was asked recently what i would charge hourly and hence my questioning the group here.

12. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Dear god that is cheeeeap!

13. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

Who do you have for insurance? How much coverage do you have?

14. kmamark2000

Per Project Insurance Agency
    350 10th Ave, 10th Floor
    San Diego, CA 92101
    Phone: 888-269-0992

$1,000,000 General Aggregate
    $1,000,000 Products/Completed Operations
    $1,000,000 Per Occurrence - Bodily Injury/Property Damage
    $1,000,000 Personal/Advertising Injury

My payments are actually, $76.49 per month.

15. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

I get $39.99 + I case of Budweiser per Hour......:drinkup:

Is that a good deal......Just wondering.....:help:

16. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

OK ill chime in fort Wayne here. $55.00 an hour. My truck my plow blazer with A 7.5 straight blade. I only have insurance 1 million liability and and 1 million gl
    And tool insurance if my plow gets stolen hope I helped out

17. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

40 bucks and a case of bud per hour aint that bad...In Erie its about 35 per hour, Erie is also the arm pit of the nation as far as snow plowing prices so I wouldn't follow my home towns example.

18. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Same here!!!

WOW thats low.

Exactly, I got beat out of hiring a guy this winter by another guy paying $25 minimum just for a driver.

Agreed