1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-Contracting Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pjslawncare1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

I have a chance to bid on a 14 unit Condo Complex with 14 driveways all are about 12x16, so they're pretty small. In addition there's a private road that needs to be plowed as well....just to give you an idea. I'm more of a lawn care guy so I do 55 Accounts in the summer and in the winter I go to nursing school. I have a quad which I do about 15 residentials for a little extra gas money and I want to stick to residential only and not buy a plow truck.

Here's the question, I had a friend of mine with a plow truck bid the condo complex and the total was $300 per push (no salting ever). I would like to know how I should take a cut out of that either by having him add $50 to the estimate so I would get $50 per push without doing anything or If I should just have him give me a finders fee...(if so, how much)

Any replies are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Let him bid and keep it in his name. If you bid it and he does something wrong ,doesn't show up you'll be there with your atv plowing it. If anything you should bid the lawn care and just let him have the plowing. If he throws you a couple of bucks fine it not still no big deal because he will be responsible for his part and not you.
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

dont put your name on the lot if you dont plan on being there. if something does wrong, you'll ruin your reputation
  4. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

Right, I'm going to have everything go through his name so that everything that could possibly go wrong will fall back on him and his insurance....I just feel like I should get something you know...Well, maybe I don't have to get something but I would like something lol....What could I do just have him bid $50 higher so I would get the $50 each time? Or just a finder's fee?
  5. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

So you want $50 every time HE plows and you sit in your house comfy and warm?
  6. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

How is this any different than subbing out your work to someone else?
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Tell him he owes you a beer. :drinkup: You obviously don't adhere to the old adage "what are friends for". All you did was feed him a good lead. On top of this you are unable to do the work yourself. You are not put out, and you really didn't do anything to deserve a "cut". You are asking alot for very little.
  8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

these guys are sort of right...i mean im all for people making money however, it's one thing if you bid the lot, won the lot and then couldnt perform so you subbed it out and another to have some bid it, win it, maintain it and still pay you, you know what i mean? if the contract was yours, then you take your cut, if the contract is his, then its his.