1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub contracting question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bella32, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bella32

bella32 Junior Member

just had a couple questions regarding subcontracting

how do you find people?

do you just call them at 2 am and tell them to go plow these places?

how do you trust them?

whats the average rate to pay them?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Being a sub for years now, (now I'm on my own) But to answer a few of your questions, yes the crew leader will call you and tell you what lot to start on, generally the guys I plowed with and the company I plowed for were good guys. Towards the end of the season you might have some problems with guys not answering their phones at 2am but we worked with probably over 100 subs. As far as what to pay? We started out around $30-$35/hr. Hope this helps.
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Well I go out and hit my residential first, then give the contractor i'm subing for a call to see what lot he wants me to go on. I wouldn't work for $35 per hour. I'm starting at $50 per hour.
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

When was that. 1980?
  5. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

are you guys for real? 30- 50 $$. Around here we start at 85 and thats low. Equiptment's expensive.
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

85 is unrealistic. 55 to 70 is closer.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

$85... good luck

We agreed upon $50 because my accounts come first and then whenever I finish I go help him out.
  8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh if you work it like that I guess its worth it. I made $35 an hr. last yr using there truck. He was paying a truck and 8footer $90 an hr. Dump and 10 footer $130 Loader op $80 guess I got lucky.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I wish,lol that was as of last season. Thats why I don't sub anymore!:realmad:
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try believe it or not an ad in the employment section in your local paper. That's where I have seen it around Akron and it works. I have seen it in the "Tires and Parts" section too. I guess some of us read that section too. If you do get subcontractors make sure you call them as early as you can before the night gets going.
    ( early to bed , mount plow, no alcohol, etc. )
    Some people just don't pay attention to the weather !
    Surprises happen too.
    Four inches of random flurries happen around here about 3 times a season.
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Usually $10 a foot is the doing rate around here for subs.

We give our guys a call, then give them an hour to get there. Soon as they get there they get on the clock.

Some we don't bother to check on, other get watched like a hawk. Don't even let them out of our site. (usually the rookies)
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I call my guys when it is time to go. If it is snowing and is going to snow later then 2am we just go at 2. Some will call the night before and set their own alarm for 2 so they don't wake the whole family, some want me to call them. The rule is if you set your own alarm you have until 2:30 to call me or I am calling you. I will try cell first but home is the next call if there is no answer.

An add in the paper works well, you can weed out most of the bad ones on the phone.

Guys have the same route every night. You get used to how long it will take them and most of these guys I can trust. They might beat me here and there for an hour but when push comes to shove they can all fly on a late snowfall. They might knock an hour off the route but I don't expect them to beat their truck every night.
  13. bella32

bella32 Junior Member

thanks that explains alot what about insurance? they carry there own or u insure them?
  14. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Yikes. They need to carry there own you don't want to carry them.They shoul dhave insurance and provide you with a certificate of insurance if they can't give you that DO NOT USE THEM. :salute:

Subs make around 50 to 80 dollars per hour with insurance and there own truck in Indianapolis. 30 dollars a hour my dad got paid that in 1978.:D

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

$10 per foot? can i count the wings? that would be nice!! i have 54' of plow, that's $540 per hour, may wages would be $120 per hour. that means i would pocket $5000 in a 12 hour night! plus the salting i'm going to start subing........