1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub contracting prices

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by robroquet, Nov 15, 2011.

1. robroquet

robroquet Junior Member

OK guys, new to the site so be gentle on me! :gunsfiring: My goal of this thread is to get some ideas from you experienced plowers out here what a good amount would be to pay a sub on commercial lots. Nothing too big, but like some Burger Kings, snow over 1", no salt, and a couple of medical clinics. They have to be cleared any time that it snows, and of course salted. I look forward to your answers!

Rob:drinkup:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You first,what are you willing to offer guys?

3. robroquet

robroquet Junior Member

By the way Grandview...I love Giada! She is one foxy woman. I was thinking of offering 30%, but did not know if that is too generous or not.

4. grandview

30% of each job? Before or after your expenses ?

5. robroquet

robroquet Junior Member

Someone also said to just pay them hourly. I've always had to plow by myself and this year I managed to pull a couple of bigger accounts that I dont have time for. I would pay them after expenses. Only expenses I would have is fuel and salt. They are using their own insurance, trucks, etc.

6. grandview

You still need all the insurance stuff to protect yourself. Pay them hourly.

7. robroquet

robroquet Junior Member

Yes this is true. $20/hr be a good rate?

8. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Around me owner operator 1/2 ton truck and plow 65 an hour

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

No, Here in Cleveland I have heard guys getting anywhere from $45 to tops $65 an hour for plowing only.

10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I pay my sub, who uses a 3/4 ton truck and 8'2" Boss V plow, $75 an hour. His truck, his plow, his fuel. I am good friends with him and trust him to get stuff done right, that goes a LONG way.

kevlars

11. robroquet

robroquet Junior Member

THanks guys for all the help, this will come in handy when I talk to my guy. Again..thanks for the help.Thumbs Up

12. ladder6

ladder6 Junior Member

$75/hour using their own truck and fuel. Very fair, so both of you can make money.

13. Mrplow247

Mrplow247 Member

still cant find anyone who will pay more than 30/ hour even if i offer to buy my own insurance. I have a diesel with a V plow. This 65/75 hr **** is insane. If i could get 50 i would be so happy

14. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I bet you will be able to command a higher per hour when the snow starts flying!!!

kevlars

15. robroquet

robroquet Junior Member

I have a couple of companies contracting me out and they pay me $75/hr.

16. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I pay my sub $80.

If I ask him, heck without asking him he'll be plowing while I'm still sleeping.

Thats reliable!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

You are talking wages for driving YOUR truck?????

18. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

My subs get 70 per hour equipment is newer,they have their own insurance and they have years of experience!!

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you are going to pay a percentage per lot it should be between 80-90% of total charge for plowing only.

Hourly for plow only should be between $60-$80 per hour depending on experience.

That is the going rate for your area.Yes some will work for less but think about what type of worker you will get the lower you go.

$20 per hour for their own truck was a joke I hope. Otherwise you better plan on someone taking 4 hours per acre.

20. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

R.J.B are you around the E305 area much? I may have seen you around.