1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub contracting how much should it pay??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robo, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I just talked to a guy about doing some sub contracting plowing. He wants to pay me $50 an hour. I think this is a bit light IMO. What do you guys normally pay or get paid for subbing??

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

The first ? i ask my subs is how much exp. and what do u have for equipment

3. Robo

Robo Senior Member

New truck and plow. Couple years of experience.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

what KIND of truck what SIZE PLOW any SANDER?

5. ExplorerPlow

ExplorerPlow Junior Member

Well im Paid 65 an hour, with so far one year experience with a sno way 7.5. Im treated very well for the company i work for.

6. Robo

Robo Senior Member

04 CHEVY 2500 HD, SNOWAY 8' STRAIGHT PLOW, NO SANDER

BETTER??

7. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I'm getting $65 an hour, not per billable hour but per hour that I am plowing. That means between jobs ect. He is also paying fuel and any expense while plowing or directly related to plowing. And at the end of the year I get $200 to have my tranny serviced. I have a 2005 dodge diesel with a 8'6 mvp western. I have 8 year experience. I think The $65 is a little light. But Its not too bad. I used to say you can't start a truck for under $75 without a driver. But since all other expenses are covered I figure Im probably ok.

8. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

If your clearing 65 after expenses that doesn't sound bad to me at all. This is my first year owning my own truck but I would be very happy if I could find a deal like that. Although you have a new truck with payments and I paid cash for mine. I still have to pay myself back but 7,000 vs 37,000 is a big difference.

9. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We pay our subs $60 to $65 for pickups,no sander and min exp.

10. HIGGINSTRUCKING

HIGGINSTRUCKING Junior Member

There truck there fuel my insurance and coffie and food 50.00 per hour from when they show up to when they leave and they get paid cash before they go home. My guy love it when I call They dont have to get out of there trucks at all Keep your help fead and warm and PAID and they will always be there for you :alien:

11. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Make it Diet Coke and you got a deal. LOL Thats not bad and the cash at the end of the day makes it even better. Thats why I like doing work for carnivals over Amusement Parks they pay cash when the job is done. As Jackie Gleason use to say "How sweat it is"

12. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I bought my truck for many other reason then plowing snow. Mostly for pulling the skid loader and the family camper. Since I have It I figure I might as well push some snow. I will keep track of what the other guys are doing that are contracted by the same company. If I am out plowing them then I will ask for more money. I don't know who they are and what they do. But I know that since it pays by the hour I can make sure quality is tops for sure.

13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

45 to 55 an hour is the going rate around here in Michigan. For an 8' straight blade, that sounds about right. You just can't go by what people around the country are getting, since there is SO much difference in the pricing for snow removal. As far as these guys who are getting 65 an hour, plus fuel and expenses, if we got something like that up here, there would be no reason to go out and bid anything else. That would be a gravy train.

14. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

Michigan sub wages

With the gas prices so high $65 hr is a bargin! Anything less and your working just to work. Figure in your tax's,insurance,repairs,gas,your time,wear and tear etc. I'd sub in his new truck for $45

15. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We pay between $65 & $85 per hour depending on experience. Figure $75 as a median figure.

16. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I see you are from the great armpit of america as well. Everything in Flint service wise is cheaper than other places. No wonder I have such a hard time getting work with my bidding process.

17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Oh, it's ridiculous on some of these jobs. You got all these shoprats out there in their new trucks out there doing it as a hobby. Not rto mention all the fly-by-night "lawn" services out there doing it for an extra buck or two. The bad thing is, is that plwing is even worse than the mowing aspect of it, because it is so easy. These guys don't even have to lift a finger (other than control their plow stick). No effort involved, so of course many of these guys are going to try to reap the benefits. I see so many trucks around that don't even comply with the law,...that pretty much tells the story. Taxes and insurance? Yeah,...right.
    Anyway, where abouts are you? I'm on the northwest end (Pierson/75 area).

18. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I hear ya about every hillbilly in the whole county having a truck with a plow on it. Plowing snow is not my main income nor is cutting grass/landscaping. I do it for extra income and to pay for my truck. I try to offer a good service at what I feel is a good price (inline with what others charge) and people think its out of line sometimes. I don't work for free or nearly free (as I would rather sit at home on my @ss and watch tv) so I estimate the way I estimate period.

19. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

I plow in Belleville,Ypsilanti,Ann Arbor,Dexter,and Hamburg.
    Subdivisions and commerical lots.

Is there some new law that lets snow removel income be tax free?You write off what you can :angel:
    As far as no insurance goes..Let them get sued when something goes wrong.One less plow around only helps.

20. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

:waving: You have to remember when you ask a question like that, you should ask the people in you area or State(MI) because the $$$$ range is totally different in other areas. Up here in Bay City I've heard of $28 - $48 per hr. I now longer plow as a sub but the experience was worth the amount back then.I guess for what that is worth just my .02