1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub contracted

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MAC LLC, Sep 29, 2008.

1. MAC LLC

MAC LLC Junior Member

my former boss is looking to subcontract me/ my truck for snow removal on commercial properties this year and before i meet with him i want to have a price of what im worth.

i have lined up driveways and i will be charging between 25-50 depending on size, service etc..

looking at one of my landscaping pricing book I should be charging about 65 an hour for snow removal (book was written in 2006) so maybe a slight fuel surcharge...

Does 70 an hour sound right?

If i was offered over $50 an hour would that be fair because I am being subcontracted...

thank you in advance

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you going to be a full time sub or on call?

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Subs in this area can make from 65-95 an hour depending on truck, experience, and location.

4. MAC LLC

MAC LLC Junior Member

thanks for the quick replies...

i would assume full time

i will be running an 06 3/4 ton diesel w/ 8 ft blade

i have plowed these same lots in years past

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you are paying for your own insurance and fuel then you should be getting more then $50 an hour. JMO

6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

where did you get this book?

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

8. MAC LLC

MAC LLC Junior Member

its called "how to price landscape & irrigation projects" by james r huston, i bought it at a college book store... it retails for $150.00

There is a ton of useful information but you have to read it 3 or 4 times to understand where he gets his numbers from

edit.... its not Seans, but i did buy his lawn care sucess and it was very informative, great product

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah i agree, in MASS you should get well over $50hr, with that truck more like $75-100hr at least. good luck

10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I get $85 an hour for that truck

11. MAC LLC

MAC LLC Junior Member

thanks for the help guys, im going in on friday to see what the story is price wise...

i already got driveways lines up so im not sure if its a good idea to beat my truck just to be subcontracted or stick to my driveways and 2 small commercial lots...

12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I can tell you that if you only have one truck it can be very stressful to commit to subbing and still have to get to your own customers in a timely manner.........

13. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

a buddy of mines dad owns a big construction company near boston and they offered me $75/hour with my truck but i want to do it on my own

14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Subbing is on your own

15. ColliganLands

i mean i want to do it for myself with my company
    ive had a lot of interest or else i might be going the subbing route

16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i think i am having a conflict of understanding you. if what ur telling me is that you have enough of ur own signd driveway contracts and lots then thats awesome rock on.. But subcontracting means you have to one be your own company two you get a 1099 in the spring. they bill the customer scoop theres off the top and send the rest too you

17. ColliganLands

what im trying to say is that i have enough of my own customers for drives and lots that i don't need to sub and can run my plowing with my contracts that i have:D plus a few morepayup so this way i dont have to sub hope that makes more sense.. sorry its late here and it started raining again:(

18. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Glad to hear you are done being a sub, hopefully you will be able to continue to grow!

19. ColliganLands

thank you and i hope so too
    good luck this winter
    Kyle

20. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I get 90hr for my two trucks