1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub contract rip off $$$

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jzeller4, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

took on six stores for a guy last year, he payed some but when the snow stopped, well he stopped paying. he still owes like $18,000.00 on the bill. always told me money was on the way, but never comes. this is all from last winter. I just got my attorney on it the other day.
    has any one had the same trouble ? If so what was the out come.... thanks.......:gunsfiring:

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

it took you 9 mths to talk to an attorney.

heres your sign.

3. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

his contract was crap for one, I do have all his emails printed out and have signed invoices with managers
    signatures for each service of the lots. is that good enough for ya !!!!!!!

4. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

what did you change you post for smart as*

5. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

i run a real business here, so ya i got all i need for a case. I just took a mans word, and thats my first mistake.

6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

whats the problem then:confused:hopefully you have a good attorney now and you learned something out of this ;) good luck

7. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

ya i got a good attorney and he said i got a good case and all, i just wondered how often this goes on.
    its got me where i dont want to take on any sub deals anymore.

8. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

do yourself a favor and try going on your own or find a reputable company that is hiring subs:nod:

check the employment section here on PS and see if anyone local to you is in need of subs http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

9. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

booked for the year, on my own.

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi J
    It happens sometimes, problem is you may win in court but collecting the money is a whole issue. The company maybe a LLC or Corp and if they lease all of their equipment and have no assets you are just **** out of luck. I have had it happen only once, you need to have a good contract and don't let the money get that far behind. If they don't pay at the end of the month they don't get plowed its that simple. Also try to find guys that have a good name and have been around for awhile. I sub for one guy and he treats me great, pays on time and gives me enough work to fill my route. On the other side of that he doesn't even call me to check to see if Im plowing, he know's Im out there taking care of the lots.

Good Luck Mike

11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Is the client aware of the situation?

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We just got $60K from a clients holdback to a general we did work for in 2007. The remaining $90+K will have to be taken up with the general contractor in the courts. Our lawyer seems to think he has it as he has spent all kinds of $$$ defending his case to date. Only time will tell. Good luck with that.

13. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Check with your attorney, but I would name the owners and lessors of the properties as defendants (quantum merit - they received the benefit of the work and should pay). They will likey say they paid your contractor and then that may be embezzlement as well on his part - not that he will actually get in any trouble for this. But they will understand and be annoyed at the contractor for being named in the suit.

If he worked for a management company they may be interested to know that he is not paying subs. I went this route once.

14. G.McNeill&Son

G.McNeill&Son Member

Ya we ran into that same problem it took about 15months to finally settle and our attorney took 22% of the $60,000. The Contractor called the night before the court date and wanted to give us a small payment. We refused it because we were hearing that for a year before.We received final payment in court minus attorney's fee's. Good luck

15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

good job..

that's what i gotta do.

16. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

thanks bladescape got two more small lots today, checking with more im the morning,
    hope to be rolling in the $$snow$$ soon !!!

17. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

thanks guys for all the input,its a shame stuff like this has to happen, and i hope none of us deal with
    any of this sh*t this year, my business was goin real well till he kicked me in the cherry's on the bill.
    i called him a few times and told him, if i dont see some money i dont drop the plow, so he would throw
    me a little but never enough, just enough to keep me quiet i guess. that was his plan all along. and yes
    it is a llc that got me.and no the stores know nothing about it.