1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub agreement

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by MK97, Nov 7, 2014.

1. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an account (multiple locations) I am subbing out to another company this season.

Any tips for a contract? Never had to write up a sub one before, but would like to have something more than just a verbal and email agreement. I used this company for another service last month on just a verbal and everything went great.

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd probably talk to my lawyer about something if they're supposed to handle everything but you hold the main contract. CYA just in case...

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

4. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the info, this is definitely a sub situation and not an employee situation per the IRS definitions.

Was curious if anyone had a template they use since this is new territory for me.

5. Bill Grey

Bill Grey Member

I'm in NY so I can't speak for any of the laws or insurance requirements in your state. First off, I own an insurance agency that only works with various types of contractors. You're doing the right thing by having a subcontractor agreement. You should be able to find a few templates online that will point you in the right direction. Are you going to verify that the sub is licensed, and properly insured?
    If you are unfamiliar with these agreements I suggest sitting with an attorney and letting him know what you want to do. You want to make sure his expertise is in business law. A divorce attorney is no good. You may be able to get some ideas from Legal Zoom as well. If you get totally stuck, PM me and I'll send you a sample that should help. Is your company incorporated? This is also very important. Without the protection of being incorporated, YOU could be personally responsible in the event of a claim.
    Hope this helps a little.............