1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Truck Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Merc1100sc, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

OK, ihave to ask. Why are 1/2 tons called tons and 3/4 tons called 3/4 tons. I thought it was their payload ratings but noticed in my owners manual that my 2500HD is rated for over 3500# of payload...
  2. ISP Plowing

ISP Plowing Junior Member

Good question Booger, I have no idea?
  3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Whats Going On
  4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

well half ton, 1000lbs. Im goling to guess that thats its payload capicity, also that halftons have smaller brakes, smaller axles, cant tow as much, they offer v6's, no tranny cooler, and other things.

where 3/4 and one tons are very simular, they have 8 lug axles, bigger 4wheel disk brakes, have v8's and diesels, have a MUCH higher payload capicty, They have tranny coolers bigger alts, different trannys (i think), different tires (e load), and some other stuff that is different.

And another thing, a 2500hd is really a one ton, in 1999 they gave the 2500hd's the payload rating of a 3500.

But I know what you mean, why does a 2500hd that chevy calls a 3/4 ton have a 3500# payload, they shouild call it a 1.5 ton. lol

I dont know if this is what you were asking, but it seemed as if you wanted someone to distingush the difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.
    hopefully this helped some.
  5. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I think (okay, I'm guessing) that those ratings used to be accurate. Then everyone had to outdo each other, so they started upping the payload and saying "more payload capacity than xxxx."
    I wouldn't be surprised if the current ratings wind up reflecting the capacity that the truck is "comfortable" with. (Sure, it may carry 3,000lbs, but it rides really nice with 1,500 in it.) Just a guess there.
    Otherwise it is just a good way to make a general comparison.

Now, on the other hand, Honda has a "half-ton" pickup. I've heard that that is all it's good for. There's no "reserve" capacity. I don't know about the other imports.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The way I was taught, the rating was for each axle. A 1/2 ton was 1,000lbs/axle and a 3/4 ton was 1500lbs/axle. In the last few years it has been a payload game with each year getting more and more payload. Why is the GVWR for a 3500 GMC 2wd 11,400 and the 4x4 is 12,000? None of it makes any sense anymore.
  7. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Thanks guys. SO, its its probably an old payload rating and the names maybe just stuck even though capacities went up. I noticed a commercial for the new f350 duallie w/ a payload of 5800#.......... wow
  8. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

1/2 ton...3/4 ton...1 ton

As far as I've ever heard the names come from the 'good ole days' when the trucks were literally half, three quarter, and one ton load capacity. Over the decades the builders have been upping the capacity so that the names no longer have accurate reference to the trucks' capacities.