1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid tire pressure post # 106

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bribrius, Nov 27, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sorry to add to past threads.

half ton chevy. 7.5 fisher. 500 lbs. ballast. bfg at's rated up to 80psi.
    running front at 60lbs. back at 55lbs.

tread on paper test (laid paper down drove over it). with plow on front and ballast in front tires fully track. back not full out to edges and does not fully track..
    with plow off. front ALMOST fully tracks but not quite. Back still does not fully track.

possible things that may be added to truck on off and on basis. ten horse snowblower. two hundred lbs. of sand/salt. but these wont be in most of the time obviously.

so am i good? i put way to much thought into this i think and still ended up with no answer since the amount in the back of the truck will change anyway other than the permanent five hundred lbs. in concrete blocks (snowblower, salt sand, snow). I am considering bringing the front down to 55 and the back down to 50lbs. Or the front to down 50 and back down to 45. appreciate comments/suggestions..

im not a perfectionist or anything honest.lol
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Change tire presure with the changing load whats the problem?
  3. bribrius

i dont want to frig with the tire pressure all winter. just once. and done until spring. you actually change your tire pressure everytime you put something in a truck or put your plow on?

i actually never even thought about tire pressure until i read a old thread on here saying to increase the pressure in the winter time when plowing or holding ballast.
    now that i read it i want it right.... even though i never even thought of it before.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  4. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

any off-roader and me will tell you to run the LOWEST presure poss. (more traction)

the tire says for exmple: max load 2167lb at max infl 80 psi. so the only time you need 80psi is if you are putting 4334lb on the front axle. POINT BLANK. you can check this at any grain elevator or weight scale of any sort but just remember to weigh 1 axle at a time

my 01 chev 3500hd cab/chassis with a besler hydraulic hay bed, a cattle BUMPER(not cattle guard) and milemarker winch with 2two big round hay bales on the bed has 4200lb on the front axle, and it has a duramax w/ auto and 4X4, the entire truck loaded weighs about 12000lb

edit: P.S. back off on the tire rating next time you buy tires i guarantee you that your truck does not have a 4334lb front axle, this will help with ride tremidously, just because it's a truck it doesen't mean it's a one ton
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree, for off road lower your psi for traction.

But ;)
    To help avoid busting a bead loose when running over curbs or running over unseen landscape and your loaded down with over 1k some times 2k+ of weight.
    Run the psi up.
  7. powerjoke

dude i am sure you know about plow stakes right:confused:

run it up to 90 or 100psi heck it aint my backLOL

we have a halve ton 4X4 std cab long bed with a meyer 7'6" and NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ballast and does fine even in the 24" thunder snow (wet stuff) :rolleyes: maybe i ought to blow the tires up and put weight in it to reach the same affect? idonno LOL
  8. powerjoke

AH!! no reply from the farmer huh;)
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm not sure what your bragging about?
    I din't even know it snowed on KC,MO!

Try leaving the air in'um and add some weight behind the wheel wells.
    This will help with handling and traction.
    ( unless you like running around with your but in the air?)

P.S. what the he!! is LOP0A:salute:
  10. powerjoke

NO SNOW IN KC. whats wrong with you man? we get upwards of 8-10" avg year.

i guess what your saying is the heavier the truck the better fuel economy:confused:

i guess we here at 822ft get the good wet stuff and by the time it gets to 1436ft the only thing that is left is the light fluffy stuff a kid can shovel

LOPOA: all you have to do to join is send mark o a donation LOL i think it goes to some sort of "get LLM high speed fund"?

11. powerjoke

this is a CaT pusher to you all ain't it, i wonder how many P.S.I. they recomend on this unit LOL

HMMMM! don't see any "COUNTER WEIGHT" on this rig ;) (notice i didn't say ballast this time)

P.S. i ain't in K.C. i am 40mi south (thats where your getting confused) LOL
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  12. powerjoke

:Dbet this don't get deleted by morn. LOL

HMMMM!!!!! no snappy come back from the farm huh?

dang 3 post in a row? am i talkin to myself?LOL

p.s. if this does get deleted does the post still count towards my "plowsite.com addict" LOL
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So you went South in a hand-basket:waving:

Humm solid tires have no psi.
    Was that supposed he a trick question?

Next, Your big but is the counertweightxysport
    As you should know allot of loaders have the counterweight built in to the machine.

:rolleyes:post -hoe...
    Are you talking to your self again?
    The question is?
    Are You hearing answers??

The big guy must be sleeping in this morning lol...
  14. powerjoke

WOW! farmer surely you didnt let this one off the hook did you, or are you out of "inteligant" advice ;)

if not and you was waiting for me to respond you havent said anything worth argueing with yet LOL
  15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You should fill your tires to whatever the manufacturer recomends, just look on the door jam. My GMC is 65/80 front/rear i believe.

You never want a wider footprint in the snow. You want a skinnier footprint to go through it, not a wide footprint to go over it. That's why every snow tire ever invented is skinnier in size.
  16. bribrius

ended up running 60 front and 57 rear.

right now im more concerned i just cooked a set of rear brakes that i just put on three months ago.

YAH. im voting on both calipers neeing replacing.
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What if the door jam calls for 80psi but the tire says 65psi max are you going to fill it up to 80psi:confused:

IE; stock, your truck came with load range "E" tires
    but your using load range "D"

Yes some load range "D" can have the same capacity as some "E"

Next, You can get any tire with a M/S stamp on it even wide ones.

285 bfg,at/to's load range "D", Max load 3305 lbs,
    I run 62 rear & 64 front.

65psi is the max tire psi, yet the door jam says 65 front & 80psi rear.
    You would have be crazy to put 80psi in that tire but that's what the door jam says..
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  18. bribrius

i dont have a sticker in the door jam anyway. it disappeared when i sent the truck in for rust proofing..

tires at 245 75 16 bfg load range E

Sorry . probably would have helped if i said that in the beginning.
  19. powerjoke

WHAT! what did they do with the sticker? put it underneith linexLOL
  20. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I don't think it's legal for someone to put tires on that don't meet the minimum OEM standards. And obviously if you start using tires that aren't recommended, you can pretty much negate the recommendations for tires at that point.

I wasn't talking about Mud + Snow tires being wide, i was talking about Snow tires being wide. The same principal applies to every car on the road - not just trucks.

I never said you couldn't find a wide snow tire.... it wasn't a dare or anything. I was just pointing out how they're designed.