1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid things you see while plowing!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by meathead1134, Jan 23, 2006.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Well I wasn't plowing but I was on my way home from home depot to go plowing. I was on a busy road and I caught some flashers out of the side of my eye so I looked. There was a dodge 2500 with corner stobes flashing just driving down the road no plow setup uo or anything the truck wasn't even lettered either. It was snowing pretty good also, he wan't no fieman either. BTW he had a Rhode Island plate (go figure) I said to myself somebody is just drawing attention to himself. I just laughed
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

was the truck white? maybe they were tired of cars pulling out in front of him/her.
  3. Kosty

Kosty Member

hey if it snows and ur driving if u got ur strobes on the cars will pull over for you. and let u by ive done this a few times when im in a rush i just hit my lights on and they just pull of to the side.
  4. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

cause thats not illegal or anything:nono: if i saw u do that while i was workin, id arrest you for impersonalting a police officer. the are for warning purposes not getting poeple outta ya way
  5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I was opening the road to a large condo project and saw a silver truck just driving back and forth on the main street with his hideaway strobes going. It was funny as the guy must have thought he was important or something.
  6. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I always have my salter mounted strobes on when driving.. There are just too many idiots on the road that don't pay attention to a damn thing..

I totalled a car on 1/11/06.. The car was sitting in the middle of the road at a busy intersection READING A MAP with no turn signal on..

I make alot of turns and frequent stops.. I want to make sure everyone sees me from all angles. I have too much money invested to keep totalling my trucks because other people don't know how to drive.
  7. qualitylawncare

How is it impersonating a police officer? If the lights aren't red or blue, I don't see how its illegal.

I drive with cops all day and never once has anyone questioned me as to why they were on or asked me to turn them off...

Now turning them on when behind other cars just to get them to pull over, I see that as being "illegal"..
  8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'll second that, I'm a volunteer EMT, and if I used my blue strobe inappropreately, I could lose it :nono: .
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'd call that an ignorance issue. So anyone who doesn't feel like dealing with traffic should just turn on the strobes and push thru?

So what happens when everyone has strobes?

Suddenly, they've lost their meaning. And then no one pays attention to them for anything.

Strobes are not meant to be overused. This is worse than the threads about strobes being on thru the whole route while plowing IMO.

I'll pull over for cops, ambulance, fire, even volunteer firemen and humane society emergency vehicles... maybe even these purple hearse/funeral precession lights... but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pull over for a plow truck driver who's late for his Krispy Kreme appointment... :rolleyes:
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

What do you put that blue strobe on your four wheeler:rolleyes: ? Your only 15 years old.
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I agree. I never pull over for some idiot in a plow truck with some strobes going. I see guys all the time with their stobes/beacons going while traveling down the road and people wonder why no one pays attention to them.
  12. qualitylawncare

Explorers or Jr. Firefighters are not allowed under any state law to have a blue light in their vehicle. Only active FF's (18yrs+) can have the lights and use them. It's part of the BSA's insurance coverage restrictions..
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The blue light is in our Suburban

My Parents drive me down to the Amb. Corps. Building.
  14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

This isn't RESCUE or FIRE DEPT, it's AMBULANCE CORPS, not an Explorer program.
  15. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOW !!!:eek:
  16. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Can you legally perform care for a patient at only 15 years old? You have to be at least 18 to give oxygen because it is a drug. What ambulance are you on? If somebody had a cardiac arrest and woke up to see a 15 year old helping them they would probably flatline! :eek:
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Maybe they would/should be grateful to see anyone helping them at all.

I would imagine he is probably an assistant, hence being a volunteer. They play gopher mainly, carrying supplies etc. and gaining experience and exposure before getting into it full time. Not everybody can handle the blood etc. that these people need to deal with... better to find out before spending the big bucks on schooling.

I'd say that is pretty admirable for a 15 year old. Maybe you guys shouldn't be raggin' on him, since guys like him grow up to be paramedics and doctors etc. who save your asses when you're wrapped around a tree. :nono:

I fully support ANY volunteer in the rescue field, be it medical or fire. :salute:
  18. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I believe the key is "blue strobe" in MA blue on the front are police only. Any other color I son't see a problem.

19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

edit by Charles: reason---inflammatory

That is a good idea though.....next time I am late for a coffee run I'm going to turn on my warning lights and maybe people will pull over for me:rolleyes: It wont be against the law becasue I'm not using red or blue so that will make it ok:nod:
  20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I am an actual EMT "in training". I cannot actually assist the patient until this coming summer (when I turn 16). Basically, I am being trained, and I respond to calls and do whatever "small" things need to be done.