1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid service light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My 2000 2500 4x4 service light keeps going on and turns back off after a while. It has the 4L80E trans and is a loaded LS. It runs fine and everything, just erks me that it is on. And it also has a 7.5ft Meyer poly plow, the old school classic mount. Any help will be appreciated

2. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

try taking it to autozone they will run a diagnostic check for free and it will let you know what it is. if light is off when you get there they can still check it. also it sounds to me like an o2 sensor that would cause it to go on and off like that maybe a couple of other things best to get it scanned and go from there.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks, I will take it up asap

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If they find a code in it be sure and write down the code number in case you want to ask anymore question's.The code no. will be something like this: P0300

5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Does the transfer case have pushbutton shift ot manual?
    If it is push button it is very likely a intermittent switch issue. There is a TSB out there.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well, yes it is pushbutton. Do you have any info on that TSB? Now for the wtf of my day. Went to autozone and they cant get a signal from the port to their scanner. Also went to advance and got the same? Any ideas?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thermos,if the 4X4 light keep's coming on and off but you 4X4 still work's then like nevrnf said already, 99% of the time it the 4X4 switch panel going bad.I have replaced a ton of these switch panels on the 99-04 GM's. I just did a 2000 Suburban yesterday that was doing the same thing,put a new switch in it and it fixed it right up like always.GM knew these switches were a problem hence the TSB for them. I can't seem to locate the TSB no. for it but if you head over to your local dealer they'll know all about it.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I have not had a problem yet with my 4x4. Although sometimes it seems like it is engaged. I will check with my dealer. Thanks. Still wanna do some research on that tsb

9. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

sounds funny about the signal thing . you might want to check all connectors around your computer and going to your obdII port. you might have to take it to a dealer to check the computer out if a scanner won't read it .

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Oh great. This sounds like it may become costly. I think this will fall under "if it aint broke, dont fix it" I will look into it. Thanks alot

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dont worry,it's not costly at all. If you want to replace the switch panel yourself it's very easy to do and the switch panel only cost's about $50 at the dealer.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Ok, that is not too bad. What could happen if I dont fix it right away?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It won't really hurt anything to leave it as is but the 4WD might not engage when you need it if the switches fail completely. With winter apon us, if it were me I'd fix it now just in case.

14. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a repair shop. Beware of autozone scans. They often can fully understand what the scanner is telling them.Before you know it youve sunk more $ then had you takin it to someone to fix it. Before you goto Classic look me up Im sure we can fig it out for you..... Perry Auto Service ---> 440.357.0550........Rob

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Are you from Perry? If so, I used to live in perry. I graduated from Perry high. I would sure appreciate the help. I will be calling you tomorrow for sure

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

No I grad from Harvey Back in 86. Call me at 440.357.0550 after 4 pm on the weekdays, and after 9am on sat and lets see what we can do to get that light off for you...Rob

17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Ok cool. Thank you so much. I will definatly be contacting you

18. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

He isn't having any issues with his 4X4 . just the check eng light

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thermos, you did mean your "service 4WD" light in the message display,right? Not you "check engine light? Just want to double check.

20. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

the service four wheel drive light comes from a defective part by gm. the solders in the four wheel drive unit crack and you have to replace the switch panel. 50 bucks, real easy. just pop the bezel off the dashboard and remove the four wheel drive panel. plug the new one in and it works fine.

be sure you don't engage the four wheel drive until you do this because it might not go back into 2wd. it happened to me.