1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid re-builders.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Feb 15, 2010.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

two years ago i bought a E-60 that was freshly rebuilt to replace the E-47 on my 02 due to a dipstick hitting the pump and breaking the base off it.
    well since day one the E-60 would not hold in the up position.
    i replaced the lift ram base o-ring last month, and it helped quite a bit, but it would still drop from full up to the ground after about 1/2 hour.

so today it got up to about 35º, and i decided to take a look at it to see if i could figure out what was wrong.

i started out by pulling the a valve out of the block.
    it has 2 ripped o-rings on it.:eek:
    so i went into the garage, and took the a valve out of the broken E-47, and instantly saw the problem. besides the ripped o-rings, whoever rebuilt the pump never put the check ball under the a valve. i put 2 new o-rings on the valve, and the check ball in, and the plow has been standing tall for 2 hours now, without dropping any.:D
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no check ball that belongs under the A valve. The large check ball (and spring) goes under the B valve (raise valve). Mis-identifying the valves perhaps?

Doesn't matter now though (as it works :drinkup:) but may in the future when looking for assistance or for purchasing any new valves or coils.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Double post in special thanks to the server...
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Its getting to the point with me that although time is money sometimes youre better off to do the repairs yourself. I just tired of cracked, overstressed parts, loose or overtorqued bolts , paying a proffessional price to get on job training service.
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I totally agree with this statement. Had a talk with the dealership manager where I bought my plows. Asked him if they have a preventative maintenance checklist when a plow comes in for service, he was intrigued. I explained from my point of view... I understand they are busy when it snows and many contractors are "just get it back out there" but if they inspect each plow (with a cheklist) before it goes out, it doesn't return with an angry customer right away and his service dept becomes stellar. Nothing worse than returning to the shop 1 hr after you were there and getting back in line. Standard operating procedure for his technicians now. I need to start a consulting firm:D
  6. tjctransport

yea. under the "B" valve.
    that's what i typed, somehow the computer screwed up and printed out "A" vavle.

yea, that's it!!:laughing:
  7. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I agree with everyone when it comes to stupid rebuilders and techs, but I have to defend our position as not all of us do lousy work. Being a plow repair/rebuilder/installer and an auto repair facility I know the problems we have, and as I see it most of the problems come from the owner hiring people who simply dont care about quality, or hiring people because they work cheap and not training them. The owner wants his/her time off but cant just close the doors, so they hire cheap help and hope for the best or simply think the a 5 or 8 percent defect rate is acceptable. I am 48 years old and have been turning wrenches since I was 17, the last 15 years owning my own business so I know how bad I want time off to vacation. (especially when the fishing is good) I take the time to train my people and make them accountable for there actions. I also made the investment in a test stand to better watch quality.
    So if you find a good shop keep going to him and let your buddys know about that shop..
  8. tjctransport

i agree 100% plowfixguys.
    i would rather pay twice as much to have it fixed properly than to pay less and have to bring it back a few times.

it is just beyond my imagination that this pump was rebuilt by a company here in New Jersey with a reputation for doing decent work and never tested.

unless some hack did the work and stuck the other companies sticker on the pump.
    either way, i got a good deal on the pump. $500 for 1 E-60 and 2 E-47's. but now i think i will have to check those E-47's out to make sure they work properly.