1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid question....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Capodosto, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

But I'll ask anyway.

I am replacing the hoses on my Meyer pump, including changing the fittings at the pump and the angling cylinders. The reason I am replacing the fittings is because I am uppgrading to the larger diameter quick-connects from the smaller ones that came with the 58H pump. My question is this: what should I use on the 1/4" NPT threads? Teflon tape, pipe dope, or nothing? I am thinking that teflon tape in the way to go, but I am not sure. Opinions?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Pipe dope, teflon tape doesnt break down if it makes it to the pump.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

fittings

there are all kinds of opinion's but i like a little carefully applied pipe dope .if your not careful it is to easy to over tighten and crush the fittings or split the boss they are going into .and you can suck tape into the valve's . just my 2 cent's worth .payup

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I use teflon tape but I am very careful when putting it on.

5. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I use tape. I just make sure its not on the very end ot the treads

6. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Never use tape on a hydraulic system. I cant tell you how many times we have had to clean it out of a valve.... Use a Teflon pipe dope, screw the fitting on as far as it will go by hand then one more turn with a wrench. Run the plow and check for leaks if you have a leak go 1/4 turn more and that will usually stop the leak

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Same pump same modification , my farm dealership gave me a fitting with a o ring. No tape, no leaks either.