1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by diesel dually, Sep 23, 2007.

1. diesel dually

diesel dually Junior Member

I am sure some of you will consider this a stupid question, hence the title. Anyway, I just bought a 2000 ford f350 dually that is 2wd. I was looking for four wheel drive but I bought the truck for half the book value and I was not considering plowing at the time so it wasnt that important. I have seen many people say with weight in the back you still cannot push snow. I am not interested in plowing but transporting a couple of snowblowers on the bed. My question is will my truck be able to get around all right in the snow? I live in DE and the snows are fairly infrequent and dont usually amount to much which is why I am not plowing. I got the snow blowers for free and just want to make a little extra money. Thanks for the help.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Should be fine for just driving around, even if driving through snow. You've been driving ok so far, haven't you? The problems with 2wd come in when you are actually plowing and pushing all that weight in front of you and with the weight of the plow making the back end light while transporting. Best thing for you is to invest in snow tires for the rear wheels (probably not even need to be studded). Actually, the best would be snow tires all around for braking action. The snowblowers will provide weight for traction. Keep them over or in front of the rear axle. If you do happen to get stuck, no problem. Just clear a space with the snowblower to get a run and away you go.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hello Delaware:waving:

For all the snow Delaware gets take Mick's advice and you'll be fine. Stay of of places like Rockland road and Beaver Valley. We run duels with blades and spreaders and do fine. Had a 4x4 dually dump that never saw 4x4 in the winter. Only used 4x4 for summer mud on construction sites or in wet grass fields. Carry a set of chains just in case of FNS (freezing nasty sh&t) an you should be fine.

4. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I use to get stuck all the time trying to drive my 2wd van up my driveway. The solution was weight. The snow blower will provide some, but with the dully's I would add more, the more the better.