1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mrwolf, Nov 1, 2013.

1. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

But it should be an easy one. Is the main power (red and black that carries the heavy amperage) always hot whenever my truck is on? or I guess just all the time? if so my though is I could use this to power a winch or jump somebody. my truck is at the shop and I was just curious. if so would this be the same with my son way and even my bros old meyer?

Thanks for indulging my ignorance!

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Yes it is hot all the time as it is supposed to be connected direct to the battery.

Is the cable gauged big enough to run what ever you hook it up to would be the question. Watch for over heating the wire at any of the connections.

We use our back blade power leads to run a dump trailer when the battery dies but that cable is larger than the plow cables.
  3. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Thanks! like I said, stupid question :) I am actually not as stupid as I sound at the moment but I could not remember how the solenoid figured in. Thank You!

4. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

It should not be hot all the time... That lead comes from the solenoid and out to the plow and the the other large red lead goes from the battery to the solenoid. It only energizes when the controller is pushed - up/left/right
    I hope this helps you out.
  5. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

That's actually what I was thinking! Guess I will double check tomorrow. I suppose I could out in a throw lever it something to make it hot when I want. Anybody do anything like this?
  6. Jwhite50

Jwhite50 Junior Member

It's not hot. Solenoid is under hood
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you could, but the problem would be, if you forgot to turn off the switch it would drain your bat within no time
    you could kill the solenoid faster by using a high amp drain longer (depending upon what kind of solenoid you have)
  8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Duhhh, forgot about that.

Our back blade wiring is hot all the time.

I'm still preparing for fall clean up, plowing is way the heck out there.