1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lucfw, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

I know this is a very stupid question but i cant find the answer to it. I have all ways been on the other side of the work and not dealing with it. So I know when you bid on a res drive way the customer calls you. But with commercial do you make a bid then show the proproty owner/manager or do the owner/managers call you to make a bid and show them?
    Sorry for the rookie question.
    Thank

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I send in blind bids and do follow up calls and try and get an appointment and try and sell them my plowing services.

3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok, i see now. I just was not sure how it worked, like who contaceted who for the services. I never dealed with that befor. Thanks, I get it now lol

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Your getting into the toughest part of snow bidding....getting to the decision maker!....

5. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree, it is one of the hardest part of it. I dont think ill be handling the bidding this year. But it was just bugging me not knowing how it works.:drinkup:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's not the hard part. The hard part is being within their numbers, not yours.

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

What Grandview said:
    That's not the hard part. The hard part is being within their numbers, not yours. ....

And those numbers are always heading south

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Cold calling is tough as hell...good advertising, referrals, word by mouth are a lot easier sale then running from door to door. A potential customer calling you is a lot easier since they obviously have a concern about the contractor in place.

9. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow, i have learned alot from just asking the one question. I never thought about the customer calling you because they are not happy about there contractor they use now.