1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid question on swenson spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by getsum, Jan 18, 2012.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

ok I just bought my first 1995 swenson pv350/358 v box spreader KNOWING it needs alot of work but it does work well as it sits. i did a new battery and belt on it but here is the stupid question im embarrassed to ask but it has the 8hp briggs motor with an oil fill and drain yet i bought it and im almost 100% sure there is mixed gas in it.. being it has an oil fill it SHOULD take straight gas am i correct? i hate second guessing my self but do not want to blow the motor on this "project" :help: otherwise this beats the HELL out of my meyer tailgate spreader and 50lb bags of salt :gunsfiring:

2. michdeere

michdeere Member

Yes, that 8 hp Briggs is a 4cycle engine that takes straight gasoline. Technically, you can run mixed fuel in it with out doing any damage. I suppose if you ran enough tank-fulls through it you may foul a spark plug....but probably not. Just don't run straight gasoline in a 2 cycle engine. That's bad.

3. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thanks haha thats what i thought. i was just second guessing my self again. still needs a carb re build i think but when it is working i love it and ill never go back to a tailgate unit

4. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Agreed, I've run mixed when I am in a pinch. But just don't make a habit of it