1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question Maybe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KFX450RXC, Nov 6, 2014.

1. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

I'm an NC guy. This will be my first season using actual plows. Gonna have a quad plow and a tractor plow.

But for the life of me, I can't figure something out about plows. I get my ATV plow tomorrow. What are those things called which hang just below the plow's edge? I think they're called shoes? They look like furniture skids or something. :D

But what's the true purpose for those things?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Shoes,,,,skis,, to spread the weight and not let the cutting edge dig it the gravel. And slow the cutting edge wear

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I thought people in the south didn't wear shoes

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

That's south Carolina and below GV :laughing:

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

that be wear the feet hit da road , son

6. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Keeps the cutting edge above the surface, typically 1/2"

Welcome to the site, bunch of jokers around here by the way

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Yep, skid shoes. You don't need them on a atv plow. It's not that heavy to warrant using them.

8. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

Ok. Thanks all. I'll set them anywhere from 1/2" to not at all. I can experiment with what works best when the snows arrive.

Thanks again. Thumbs Up

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

In the north they are called shoes, in the south they are called flip flops.

10. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

On mine I set them so the blade was touching the surface to get as clean a scrape as I could. I lost one once so I took the other one off and the cutting edge didn't wear even and was worn more on one side than the other. I found the lost one when the snow melted and put them back on. The factory metal edge lasted about 3 years cleaning about 10-15 driveways.

This year I'm trying a 1" thick poly edge and was told I won't need the shoes and it will last longer than steal so I'm setting them where they don't touch and see what happens.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  11. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I don't use shoes but at the end of every season I turn my cutting edge around. I found that doing this as well as using factory steel as opposed to the cheaper edges I get years of life .

12. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I should have done that with mine I'm sure I could have gotten at least one more year out of it. The price of the poly edges are outrageous but I wanted to give it a try just to see if it would work for me. There's a lot of opinions about them for and against, I will find out for myself this year! :nod:

13. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

That is why the holes are in the middle of the steel edge...so you can flip it over.
    I use my shoes and set them at the same height as the cutting edge. If I didn't I would go through about 3 edges (both sides) per year. I have over 200' of double wide drive to plow and I do part of the bike path to get to the fire plug when the city is slow in doing it.
    I have a welder and this year instead of replacing worn shoes, I refaced the half worn shoes. I even built the plow edge up where I let it wear down too far in past years. I am ready... except for having the new truck plow I told you I was getting. Waiting for it to show up at the dealer.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

humm, none of my edges Boss, hiniker or Meyer
    have holes in the middle so they can be flipped over.
    What edges are you using?

Next, with that short drive and trail you should get years and years out of a set of edges even with out using shoes.

I plow a couple of lots and my 100yd long drive (no shoes) and I get 2 years out of a edge.

If you edge looks like a smiley then your mount is probably to high.

if I'm plowing loose gravel or if the ground is not frozen i just give it a tap or 2 up and take a little weight off of the plow

15. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I thought you were talking about flipping horizontal when one side wore more than the other, my holes aren't centered on the bar to use the other edge.

16. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Here's my metal edge bolted on top of my poly, you can see the hole placement won't let me flip. If I go back with steel I'll make my own and use wider stock.
    2014-11-07 09.25.33.jpg

2014-11-07 09.25.33.jpg

17. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

That could be my problem then, it does look like a smiley and might be worse this year I put a 2" Highlifter lift kit on my Prowler this summer :eek: but I play in the mud with it also Thumbs Up

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thumbs Up,
    and with the mount to high, it will push down on the edge as you go forward, this could be accelerating the wear.

19. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I usually stiffen up my front springs for the added weight of the plow which also increases height, I think this year I'll try leaving it soft. That down push might not be all bad when digging up that hard pack stuff.

20. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

All cutting edges should be made with the holes in the middle so you can turn them over. I had a Fisher 9' straight blade, I couldn't turn it over but I turned it around every season and that cutting edge lasted for years.