1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid question...how do you properly put the truck in 4LO?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Alright- another stupid question here- what is the proper procedure for putting the transfer case in 4LO. My truck has the pushbutton 4WD (on dash)- the owners manual says something to the effect of being in neutral with the truck running and moving at 1-3MPH...???:confused: What if I'm not on a gentile hill?

Anyone- what's the proper procedure for my truck with the Push Button 4x4?

Also- is it best to plow in 4HI or 4LO? I've always used 4HI just because I haven't had to plow anything more than 6" of snow...

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Use 2 feet.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Gee thanks...:laughing:

4. grandview

Meaning if you are on a hill put your left foot on the brake while in neutral to shift into 4lo.

5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

On my 75 Blazer, I had to.......2feet on the lever...POS

I guess they say to have it rolling slightly so the gears will intermesh without grinding.......Sitting still in neutral will probably work too.

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Sitting still in neutral has always wrked for me on all of my trucks.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In neutral and rolling a 2 or 3 MPH works best.

When you want 4Lo simply slow down and bump it into neutral...when you get down to 2-3 MPH press the 4Lo button.

Being stationary is fine too but sometimes won't allow the shift to take place if everything isn't lined up just right. Rolling at a few MPH give everything a chance to do just that. Should reward you with a nice solid "clunk".

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Why would you need to put your left foot on the brake pedal, what is his right foot doing that is so important?

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You know some transfer case don't shift easy so your right foot push it.

10. grandview

i think he was worried about rolling ,so left foot on brake and right on gas to move it a little .Just a little extra control.

11. terrapro

from MI

I don't think that will do much good in neutral. :p

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right pedal isn't gonna move it when it's in neutral. :D

13. grandview

I'm trying to save myself here and your not helping!
    OK,when he shifts out of neutral his left foot is on the brake in case he starts to roll, and the right foot to goose it till it locks into 4 lo. Can I go know?

14. terrapro

from MI

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can go but if you do that too many times you're not gonna go for long. :help:

16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Okay- so I'm driving- put the trans in neutral, wait until I'm going like 3MPH, then push the 4LO button, once the light comes on steady, pop the trans back in gear, and to put it back in 2HI, slow down to 3MPH, neutral, push 2HI button, and put trans back in gear when the 2HI light comes on steady......correct?

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You got it. The procedure is the same for the guys lucky enough to have a transfer case lever.....

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We don't get many chances to pick on you, so NO. You CANNOT go now:laughing:

Maybe GV is used to having to use his foot to assist shifting the t-case.

19. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I thought to take it out of 4Lo you had to hit the 4Hi button first while the truck was in neutral? Thats the way I do it anyways. 4Hi it doesn't matter. I always switch to 4Lo when I'm not moving but thats just me I guess.

As for the plowing in 4Hi or 4Lo, I think you'll find that most plow in 4Hi. Hell you get enough ballast in the back end and you can be like PhilBilly and plow in 2Hi.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not necessary. You can switch from 4Lo directly to 2Hi if you wish.