1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid question - how are you guys lifting your plows with forks?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JFon101231, Oct 12, 2016.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I know this is basic, but prefer to ask a dumb question rather than DO something stupid and damage something :nono:

Have a skidsteer with a set of forks - what is the best way to safely/securely pick up a Fisher MM2 plow?
    (1) Slide under the moldboard/blade from front - or - back
    (2) pick up from under the aframe/pistons (with plow standing as usual)
    (3) putting the forks under the main lift beam the lights mount to
    (4) plug up any vents, tip it on its face and lift by rear headgear - or - A-frame

:clapping: Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member

Put a pallet under it before you unhook it from the truck. Pick up the pallet with your forks.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

And hook in on there with the ratchet strap if you are going on to pallet rack.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

And what about other situations, i.e. if you didn't have a spare pallet?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have picked them up from the back under A frame plenty of times. Mostly to set them on a skid for storage. Not a big fan of picking them up by the head gear, they twist and swing all over the place. If you wanted to pick it from the front just put some blocks under plow before unhooking from truck. But still, strapped to a skid is the safest way to move them around. You will feel pretty bad when you damage your plow after dropping it.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've seen the dealer move them around not on skids by coming from behind (so the plow is facing frontward). He did it without getting off the forklift, so he somehow just scooped it up. I guess you obviously want the forks under the strongest parts, and then just slowly tilt it back so that it doesn't fall foward.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That is how we move them around at local dealer. Unless of course they are damaged and don't allow this method. That is when we use the headgear. Like I said this causes all kind of other problems. tilt back too far and plow slides back the forks. Forward too far plow can slide off the end of forks. Then setting some plows back down can be a pain. Headgear normally fall forward making it difficult to get forks back out.

8. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a photo I edited to show you how we move are westerns around, place the forks between the lower tower support right at the sides along the uprights, then when you curl the forks back the bottom touches the A frame mount plates, and the top of the forks touch that lower tower support. works great!!!

2016-10-15 14.04.04.jpg

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Thanks for the photo. I've always just assumed that it was done somehow from the bottom, and could never figure out how the plow would stay on the forks.

I've got forks that screw onto my loader bucket, so I'll give it a shot. Have always had to hook it up to the truck to move. If I can use the forks successfully, I can move the plow more out of the way when I store it instead of being limited to where I can get the truck into.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We slide forks under the cutting edge from the back side and move them around. With a little common sense it's easy.

FredG likes this.
  11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

sounds like a plan, thanks. wasn't sure if people were chaining them to headrack or just making sure forks were tilted enough and if better to get them from the front or back.

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Men stuff around today. Here's a pic how we do them.. Alittle better then my sketch

2016-11-03 09.33.41.jpg

13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

That's pretty slick. Easy to pick them up that's for sure.