1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid question but

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gc3, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If every snow season the ground has to freeze to be able to drive out on it and push snow with hardly any damage if your careful, I know at 32 degrees stuff starts to freeze but is there a certain temperature or a number of days at a temp where you guys feel comfortable pushing snow out into a lawn without sinking or leaving ruts the more times you go out there?:confused:
  2. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

I test it on the back lots of my commercial if I sink in the mud back there I stay off the grass.

if that is not a option go some where you can get off the asphalt and test the ground, like a field approach or the back lot of some commercial building, the yard of a neighbor you don't like lol (JUST KIDDING!)
    I dont have a formula of # of days below 0 = depth of ground freez = safe to drive on grass, sorry

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Thats a good idea but I don't really have a place to test it other than my own yard. But if the residential customers need the snow plowed off their drive and into their yard and its still to soft I'd be tearing it up the more times I drive to and from the pile.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Soon as I feel the wheel dip ,that's it.
  5. The Big Push

The Big Push Junior Member
    from Ontario

try on someone else's site
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I just keep raising the blade and driving over the snow till it gets hardpacked.
  7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

In the front of my tractor I have a blade that has the cutting edge reversed/ Its actually a snow wing off a highway rig that I have welded up to a quik attach. I pull the snow away from the garage etc then push it on the lawn. The plow wont dig in but rides on top of the lawn. It also has shoes on the bottom of it equal/level with the cutting edge. I got a snowblower on the back of the tractor that cuts down on having to get on the lawns
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Basically, you really don't have a choice. If there is enough snow to plow, it must be done. You just have to be extra careful if it's still soft.

Typically you need several days of a good hard freeze (day and night) to be solid enough.
  9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

from my experience. id say 7 days below 30 degrees day and night for it to be hard enouph. even then you might get ruts but at least they wont be muddy.
  10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea i guess I just have to take it easy on it, it was 7 degrees the other day and today it was 48. Crazy. This yard slopes down alittle and uneven so it was kinda hard for me to feel the wheel dip. So hydro are you saying if you think your sinking a little you keep lifting your plow up every so often while driving back and forth to the pile to compact it. That way your not taking the grass up with the plow just maybe some ruts from your tires?
  11. MattR

MattR Senior Member

The amount of freezing days will of course depend on any existing snow on the ground. When we had the last snowstorm, frost was only in the ground 2 inches. The snow will insulate the ground and slow down its freezing times.

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How deep you think the frost would be in the ground before you won't sink in it?