1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid question about driving with plow on

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Ok, this is a stupid question and may just be personal choise...

But I have seen so many people drive with there plows in different positions when running the roads (not plowing).

Myself I run mine to the left ie. the blade as close to the truck on the drivers side. why you ask? so I do not cut open that car at the redlight when I make the right hand turn., my buddy always ran his the same way as did my father.

I have seen people run them to the right, the left, straight.is there a correct way or is it just personal choise? as far as I know there are no laws here (Ky) about the way you angle it...
  2. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

i run with it to the right(tight against passenger side). new england roads and winters make this the smartest way to drive IMO. roads are narrow and banks are high. id rather hit a bank that way than the opposite if i had to get out of the way.
  3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I have a V plow but I would say run it however you want as long as your truck doesnt over heat.
  4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The owners manual will typically tell you to angle it to the left for safety in a head on collision.
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Same here. Less likely to take mirrors off the parked cars this way.

Why would that be any safer. The crossover valve would kick in if hit anyway.
  6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Don't shoot the messenger, it's just what I read in my old Western Uni-Mount manual.
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I have always had straight blades angled right as well to make travel easier on roads where snowbanks are pretty far out into the road. Generally when I'm out with the plow on its during or right after a storm and the highway dept hasn't pushed the banks back all the way yet.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

run it however you feel comfortable
  9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I seen a truck driving with a Hiniker C plow in the flat position. That looked strange. But I suppose it was for cooling purposes. If the roads are drifted, I think angled to the right or slightly right would be safest for slicing through snow. Plus your not blasting into an oncoming car or the other travel lane. I go straight other times and keep it low for cooling.
  10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Staight blades Left so the low corner does not catch a curb.
  11. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

My blade is 32'' tall, left or right the cutting edge hits so straight is only option..
  12. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Sounds like everyone determines the angle based on missing curbs or oncoming vehicles. I transported my plow about 120 miles last summer after purchase when it was 95 degrees out. Had some time to experiment with different heights and angles trying to keep the engine cool. Found out that angling to the right was the best for airflow. I didn't think that right or left would make a difference but it did. Height did not seem to matter much.
  13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

So its personal choise, or cooling issues..
    I never thouhgt about the snow banks on the road, but then again we never get that kind of snow!

6-8 inches is enuff to shut the town down for a few days at least, a foot, call in the national guard its an emergancy! LOL

I have not had any cooling issues on the ford (yet), did the Jeep, but ever thought of adding an elect fan to the front of the radiator to help cool when the plow is up?

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i angle mine to the right when i drive. i dont really know why but thats what the dealer told me to do when i bought it
  15. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

Angle mine to the left when the roads are wet. I get less wheel and road spray(from my front tires) on my side of the windshield. If the roads are dry I keep it centered.
  16. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I run mine to the left. I was told by an old timmer that if u hit someone from behind with the plow angled to the left it will push your truck to the right, away from incomming traffic.
    I seen a video some time ago where they tested the theroy and at higher speed it did Push the truck away from incomming traffic.
  17. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I had an employee rear end another truck last year. I believe the plow was in the straight position. The cross over relief could not react fast enough. The driver side cylinder ruptured the barrel. No damage to the right cylinder...maybe the cross over did work some. My truck ended up in the pasture on the right. The truck did go right, after impact, but I'm not sure how much of that was because my employee swerved right, to avoid impact, or because the plow helped deflect the vehicle. Point of impact was right rear on the other truck.
    BTW I run my straight blade straight (angled on climbs to keep the diesel cool), and the V plow in the "V" position. I guess I just love symmetry.
  18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Run how you want- the manual from Fisher has always said straight- I run angled right often because of the aforementioned banks in New England, but do run angled left sometimes depending on the road or traffic behaviour- I was hit by an oncoming car several years ago- saw it coming so I angled the blade left to deflect him- which it did- burst the angle hose on the left cyl- cross over could not react fast enough- saved truck from any damage.

IF you run angled the corners are close to the road and likely hit- run straight and you're wide- personally I prefer to run angled right because it pushes me out of the banks rather then the wheel alone pulling me in when I have to get way over on some tight roads.
  19. Super D

Super D Junior Member

I have seen a lot of people in southern maryland with the plows straight. A few with the bottom to the right but all of them was all the way up. I run my V plow about two inches off the ground so air will flow over into the truck to keep things cool. I have noticed a big difference with the plow up and down. I also did a test with my trailer too. I can pull my heavy trailer like 45 to 80 and the truck doses not get to 205 in this temp. With my plow on and my plow is close to straight its about eight feet end to end in the transport mode cause you cant be more then 8.5' my coolent temp is anywhere from 198 to 225 or a little more until the fan kicks on and works overtime too cool the truck. So those that have heat problems thats why. keep the blade as low as you can move it up and down if needed but a lot of heat will sure destory stuff. That is my test i have done with my plow and trailer cause it had me wondering too.
  20. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I run mine to the right because I know it is close to the truck fender. At the same time, I can see the left side of the plow and know exactly where it is. Not to mention, I would rather have the snow bank push me away from the bank than pull me into the bank.