1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid Q

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by albhb3, Oct 29, 2009.

1. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

why would a dealer ever order a F350 CC Dies. with 3.55 gears?
  2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Why not?

Lots of Diesels have higher (lower numerically) gears than a gas truck. Diesels don't generally rev as high as a gasser, but have enough torque to offset the need for a lower ratio.

My old F-350 7.3 Powerstroke had 3.55 gears, and it was a perfect match. I wouldn't have wanted 4.10 gears on the highway. If you were planning on adding large tires to the truck, low gears would be ok, as the tires would offset them.
  3. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

i was thinking that they wouldnt hold up for plowing situations or pulling big landscape trailers but with the high low end torque makes it clear
  4. revtoyota

revtoyota Member

yeah most of the diel we get here have 3.55 gears in them at the dealer I work at
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Aren't 3.73's standard?

3.55 does seem sort of high.

Course, the bigger wheels and tires they keep throwing on them makes the effective ratio higher, which doesn't make sense.
  6. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

When I ordered my truck, F-350, regular cab, single rear wheel, they would not put 4:10 gears in it. My salesman even called Ford & they said if I wanted a dually they would but not with singles. I am getting ready to send it to a local shop & get my 4:10's put in.
  7. revtoyota

revtoyota Member

yeah we usualy just tell the customer to buy the truck and the same day we change the gears for them. its just easier then trying to go through the factory.
  8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

355 and large tires ARE NOT a good mix.....NOR is it good for towing...

you want to be at least 373 or 410 for larger tires and towing..

Mine came 373 6.0 from factory.....and i wish it had 410...But 355 woudl SUCK....

i assume it was ordered for someone overly concerned with fuel mileage.
  9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

exactly....throw a set of 35's and a level kit on this rig and watch how much you lose off the line....
  10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have a 09 F350 CC long box with a 6.4 and 3.55's. You can no longer get anything except 3.55's or 3.31's in a single rear wheel truck. I was worried at first but my truck does great with the 3.55's I tow my bobcat alot (trailer,bobcat and attachments totals about 15,000lbs and it does just fine. Two weeks ago I delivered 300bales of hay to a customer (65lbs average) on my 6200lb trailer, if my math is correct that's just over 25k lbs. I would not want to do it often, had to go slow so I could stop it but it did very well.
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you running for tires?
  12. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I had 2003 F350 6.0 Stroker with 3.73's and it was great. I plowed, I hauled, truck did everything, and to boot, I got 420 miles to a 29 gallon tank as compared to my unmentionable mileage I now get with my 5.4 Gasser (which I have 4.56's in). I wish I still had that truck, will chock up that one in the mistake column. Should have never gotten rid of it. If someone was doing alot of highway hauling I dont see the problem what so ever with 3.55's. With that being said they are not for me, and I dont think you should be putting on larger tires (with 3.55's) but disagree that you cant tow with it. Someone looking to haul long highway trips, what the hell...why not?? And larger tires on 3.73's , well that directly depends on just how big your talking about...if your putting on 33's or 35's and doing nothing else...then of course, its going effect the performance, when you up the tire size, you want to get a calibrator or programmer to adjust your shift points and speedometer, maybe cold air intake and a good breathing exhaust system to name a few, I know this can get expensive, but if your gonna make a tire size change that effects greatly, the performance of your truck, you better do your homework, ya know?