1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid (?) Plowing Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ItsSnowProblem, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ItsSnowProblem

ItsSnowProblem Junior Member

Ok, please don't laugh. Lately as I've been plowing I have hit been going along fine and have hit a rut or raised pavement and it's stopped me dead in my tracks. Usually the blade would just bounce over. Is this normal, or do I need to adjust something?

This didn't happen to me last year, so I'm thinking somethings wrong. The first time this happened I hit my head on the roof and had a sore neck for 2 days. I wasn't going that fast since I was comming out of a residential driveway onto the street.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What's your setup? We can give suggestions all day but still might not have the problem diagnosed if we're shooting blind.

I'd guess and say your springs are way to tight or somehow the trip pivot on the plow is seized up.
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I dought there is anything to adjust on your plow, it's most likely the ground, it prob heaved or sunk in that spot & now you & your plow notice it. Or like mark said, trip pivot is seized.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

A plow will only trip on things that hit in a tripable configuration. In general, the obstruction has to snag the cutting edge. The further up the blade it hits, the less it will tend to trip. Hit anything at or above the hinge, and it will stop you dead. Also, if you hit something with the *leading edge* of the blade, it won't trip right. Problem is that it will direct the force along rather than perpendicular to the edge.
  5. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

what kind of plow do u have? if you have a trip edge you could have bent one of the guids and it isnt letting it trip. if you have a blade trip it could be a bent blade and making it bind up and not trip
  6. ItsSnowProblem

ItsSnowProblem Junior Member

I've got a Western Pro Plus 7.5 foot. It's only been used about 7 times and I never had the problem before.

I'm gonna check the springs etc. and try to find the owners manual.

I think you guys are right though, it's probablly just the conditions.

Know that I know that this does happen, I'll be more careful.

Thanks for your help