1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid pet tricks or embarassing tales

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereGuy, Feb 8, 2004.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

So I was trying to get out of 4WD LO, this last Friday, in my New 04 2500HD on only my 2nd plow-able event. This was my first time plowing in LO(you know, to check it out). Unfortunately, I had fractured my left collar bone in 3 places 2 day prior in a logging accident. I am right handed so I used it to steer and shift on this comm. lot while my left hand which stuck out of a sling gingerly controlled the fishstick. If you've ever broken your clavicle you know that the Docs won't do a thing for you. And you can't move without all the loose bones clicking together and coming apart and thats very uncomfortable.

I order to shift out of 4WD Lo in the Chevy you have to shift into N then hit the 4WD Hi button which is on the dash, LEFT of the steering wheel all the while moving 3 or 4 MPH; then shift back into D after the transfer case clunks. No big deal...

So I pull out onto the street after plowing and reduce speed. I then shift into N. I then reach over the steering wheel to the left with my only good RIGHT hand and hit the 4WD Hi button and it doesn't take. I must be coasting to fast. I then shift back into D until the traffic is clear and try again and ,Yes, I hear the transfer case clunk and the light starts blinking on 4WD HI and so I quickly grab the shifter and inadvertently rock the shift lever from N to Oops, "R" and

SLAM!! Everything locks up for a nanosecond, the tires chirp, My collar bone parts are somewhere on the dash and I'm yelling expletives at my inanimate steering column like it's the cause of the pain shooting through my brain.

So the shifter ends up on D in about two nanoseconds but I'm swearing like a trooper for the next 1/2 mi all the while with my wife in the passenger seat with a grin she just can't hold back. ( I needed someone to connect the electricals when I picked up my plow.)

Hope you had a laugh.:D
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

My only advice to you is that you do not need to pull back the shift lever to shift from N to D because there is no detent between N and D just smack it down into D and go.
    I hope you made a nice fire with those logs
  3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Now you tell me.
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I can't even count how many times I shifted from R to 2 or N before I figured out that I didn't have to pull that shift lever back.
    Now I just smack it from R to D.
    What pisses me off is when I shift from Drive to Park instead of Reverse and then go for the gas.
    And don't even get me started on that ABS crap.:realmad:
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

sorry, I can't stop laughing, that was a great run down of the situation, could not of said it better :D :D
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

DEERE.....I feel for ya.....I busted up my collar bone and shoulder
    2 summers ago! Doc did give me some tasty Oxycodones !
    Right side too and I am right handed......Totally helpless !

Still messing with physical therapy and workers comp!

Good Luck and heal up fast bro..........................geo
  7. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

You're still messed up after 2 years! Holy crap! I've got work to do. I hope my situation is better than your experience. My Orthop. guy had me in his office for all of 5 minutes. He said it was a bad break but that he was powerless to do anything other than give me the drugs. The bone is in at least 4 pieces but undetermined and he gave me a cheap $5. sling to wear. Is this the 21st century or what?
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

DEERE.........Same deal here too ! X-rays, sling, phsy. therapy and pills........

Comp board sez 25% loss of right arm and shoulder...........
    Yea right! I won't settle either !

I USED to be a union painter by trade and still a member !
    I can see how long I would last hiking up and down a ladder,
    or cutting in trim or rolling out walls all day !

Last year I got cracked in the head by a falling ladder and
    still waiting on NY workers comp. to approve my brain drain
    procedure !

But they sure want their premiums in FULL a year in advance
    tho. !

OH well......Things are looking up this year. LOTS of snow to
  9. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

You guys have had a good year while here in Coastal NH and Southern Maine we've had a bad month.

No one wants to pay out. Even when you've been paying in for years. Painting and shoulder problems are not a good combination. Hope everything works out in the long haul for you.

10. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

I would love to have a video of that... but you probably would have to dub music over it... :D

good healing..:drinkup:
  11. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

On further reflection, I'm just glad that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I can laugh about it now though. You don't even want to hear how I broke my collar bone. Murphy Rules.