1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fordtruckman88, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Fordtruckman88

Fordtruckman88 Member

Ive had this occur to me often, your pulling up on one of your commercial accounts and you notice a truck plowing your lot thats not yours. Then when you tell them to leave they give you attitude and except money, and it like hey moron i didnt hire you so get off my account. Some people just think because they have a plow they can drop the blade were ever they please. Ever have a similar experience

2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Irrigation

I noticed this alot this year with irrigation winterization. Old vendors and no-namers showing up with compressors to try and swoop the work out from under you -no kind words for them.

As for commercial snow, up here people are pretty respectful. If they are on the wrong lot it is usually an honest mistake.

3. Fordtruckman88

Fordtruckman88 Member

yeah we have a lot of morons with no respect that will try to pick a fight with you. They don't know what the word contract means

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the first year i plowed the wal-mart i had a 1" trigger on the lot and zero on the walks, so i pulled up w/ only one truck because it was a little slushy but not even close to 1" of anything, so i sat in the back of the lot and one of the trucks came to me and said "you need to leave" HUH, i said no i think you do, so he got his boss on the phone and handed me the phone and he said that they have had the contract since there was a wal-mart in town (aprox.25 yrs) and i need to go find somewhere else to plow and i told them o.k. but i am sending a bill for your trucks, but you can stay here, he did'nt understand........so after the lot had done been cleared:rolleyes: of nothing the driver asked me if i wanted some more work, then i called the maint. manager and handed him the phone and i don't know what was said but he handed me back my phone and she told me to make sure they left and NEVER returnedLOL,

the same company i asked the previous year if i could sub for them and they said no but HEL* NO, so i wen't out and got my own contracts, (who new it was there largest contract;) ) i laughed my as* to the bank every year since.

so in short yes i have encountered this :D but it sure feels good when you can run scabers off, just let them do alittle work first;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd wait till they're done, do a little cleanup, and collect the payment from the contract! lol. Anyone that stupid should work for free..... But on the flip side, you probably could've payed him $20 for the whole lot, and he woulda spent it on boozee..

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

One year I went to plow a new account we had - I had never plowed it, my other guys had always done it. Anyways, I push in the lot and back up next to the entrance sign like three or four times - I was thinking man that sign looks different, those sidewalks look different. The third or fourth time, I realized, this ain't my lot, OMG I need some sleep. We had plowed all nite and were still working thru the day. I couldn't just leave it half plowed so I finished real nice for whomever and went next door to do the paying job.

the funny thing is, the paying job, the guy who signed the contracts was watching and made some comment like I didn't know you did the building next door also... I replied, neither did I and had a good laugh.

7. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Last year i was showing up on one of my residentials and from 2 blocks away noticed a plow truck pulling out of the drive way so i hammered on the gas and a few blocks later caught up to the truck only to relise it was my buissness partner in his dads plow truck his truck broke so he took his dads. made allot better time and figured he would help me finish my jobs i felt like such and idiot.

8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I mistakenly plowed the wrong driveway once, the lady just kept staring out the window. Then I realized I was at the neighbors house. Ops! I did have someone do that to me on a lawn though.My customer was pissed too! It was her neighbor and he did it when she wasn't home then came back later to tell her she owed $20. You should have heard the stuff come from this sweet old lady's mouth: jobless, lazy,siting on the porch drinking beer, spending my tax $ on welfare, 8 kids, blah blah blah. WOW I bet that was the last time he tried that on her! Its nice to know customers will stick up for you now and then.

9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

This year I picked up 25 small yards for mowing from a management company.
    It was my first week running through the yards, and all of a sudden I turn around and there is this guy yelling at me :realmad:. I shut er down, pull my ear plugs out and introduce myself as the new lawn guy real nice like. He's like, I don't have a lawn service, and I said is this 1117..... address, and he says yes. I said, well the management company told me to mow this one, so if that is not ok I apologize and will talk to them and let them know you have it taken care of. I promptly left and smiled and said I hope I wasn't too much trouble, left in real nice terms even though he was po'd. A few days later, finally got a hold of the manager and found out the address they gave me was a typo, 1117 instead of 1171, oops.

10. Pushin_On

Pushin_On Junior Member

No, not that experience.

Heck, you should have let him finish, then told him.:yow!:

11. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Contract theft

The problem with big chain stores is that they go through managers like toilet paper. The person you talked to may have moved on or was fired. The next person hired someone else not even knowing about previous arrangements.

You should carry copies of your contracts with you. Keep in mind that this is a legal issue so police should be called and a report filed. If you allow the hijacker to steal the account and he/ she doesn't perform properly then you will be held liable. A police report will CYA if the store manager decides to dump you and go with the other company. If someone falls or collides with another vehicle due to poor lot conditions, you will have documentation proving that you were replaced. If you walk away with your tail between your legs then you may be held liable for damages caused by someone else.

12. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

A little off topic, but I'm sick of people beotching about 'noise' in the morning. This morning I had a guy screaming at me from accross the street b/c we were plowing at 5:30, and making 'so much noise'. I told him to call the police and go back to bed. He didnt like that any. He tried telling me there is a noise ordinance against plowing a driveway before 7am.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  13. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Noise

I used to plow a drive-in theatre that was used as a flea market. I used to plow 2am in the morning and never had a complaint or at least no one ever came over! The lot was dirt and full of rocks so the blade was always tripping. The sound was lound and echoed off of the movie screen LOL.

14. snow junkie

snow junkie Junior Member

Ain't You Got Spell Check??????

Ain't you got spell check?????

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

aint that a nice first post?:rolleyes:
    ant you gonna intraduse you self?:waving:

16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i bought my shop 3 years ago and they had a guy who was contracted verbally for the plow services. well i told him i didnt need him to plow my lot anymore and her fought with me for over a half hour that he had a contract and he expected to be paid for any plows he had to do the rest of the year. well needless to say i never saw him again. i guess he was desperate for my $75 lot.

17. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

LMAO

Ferst tymerz wit additood

Gota luv'm ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007