1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid is as stupid does...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fortywinks, Jan 11, 2010.

1. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

I obviously made a mistake in hooking up the plow and after driving only 100-150 yards from home the passenger side of the plow fell to the street. After struggling to remove the plow(only the driver side was hooked), this is what I found. The truck mount hook was bent. Couldn't get the plow attached again and a wrecker had to come take the plow out of the street after midnight. Using a winch and the bed of the wrecker we were abe to straighten it to this point. What is it going to cost me to fix or replace this? I don't mind learning a lesson I just hate for them to be expensive or involve antibiotics.

KB

Plow mount photo #1.jpg

Plow mount photo #2.jpg

Plow mount photo #1.jpg

Plow mount photo #2.jpg

2. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Heat and a jack (horizontally) or a sledgehammer?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Safety tip for next time. Rub your finger on the plow pin to make sure it went all the way through both holes.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

After losing my plow one night, and spending an hour fixing it myself at midnight in the street, I triple check. I look three times to make sure both pins went through the holes on my Fisher.

Looks to me that you need to replace that push beam. I have no idea what they cost, but I would think it would be an easy job.

5. starc

starc Senior Member

Just unbolt it and straighten it. It will also make it easier to test the fit on the blade once removed from the truck. Once you know it fits well bolt it back on the truck...

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

This is a great point, I double check to make sure the pins on my Boss are seated all the way through the hole.

Mike

7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I have done this with my Fisher also, now I double check myself, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

ive done it once when i first got my plow, but i dont think it hit the ground. how many ppl left there kickstands down and didnt realize it untill you finished a drive, or tried to finish a lot?

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Don't use heat. It will spread the molicules apart in the steel, weakening it. Take it off your truck, place one end up against a concrete wall or something solid. Take a sledge hammer to the bent side and give it a few good blows until its straight. If you don't want to do that, go to your local dealer, and tell him you need a push beam for your year and make of your truck. and bolt it back up. Don't forget the red thread locker if you take it off.

10. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Just heat it up and bend it back. It doesn't do anything to weaken the metal. I think if you cool it in water after you heat it up, that will weaken the metal. They heat it up to make the steel in the first place, why would heating it up again weaken the metal. No why you can bend that large of tube heating it with a hammer, unless it a 50lb sledge. You have to use heat.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A agree heating it will have minimal impact on the strength of the steel. If it needed to be welded, you would do that without hesitation......

12. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Technically, heating the steel will change its properties. how you let it cool makes a difference. After heating the steel, let it cool naturally. when its quenched with water(or oil). it will make it harder, but also more brittle. Quenching is how metal is tempered..

side note...( this is what I remember from a strengths of materials class I took... unfortunately, that was over 35 years ago... so part could be fact, part could be senility? LOL

13. Indy

Indy Senior Member

not a super hard fix
    you could go to a body shop or a fab shop and have them tweak it back

Or go to the boss dealer and get a used center section, bolt it on and your good as new

Good luck

I check my pins form the outside and make sure the handles are fully seated against the frame........same as checking the inside

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

BFH

Big F'n Hammer

15. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Heating it will have very little impact as long as you dont overheat the steel. Take the pushbeam off, grind the paint off the bent area and slowly heat where it needs to be bent back to a real soft, darker cherry red and hit it with a sledge until it is back where it should be. Just let the steel cool from the air, dont poor water.... on it.
    Bending it back without heat is not a good idea as this will make the steel more brittle, same principle of bending a paperclip until it breaks, the heat input softens the steel just enough to make the steel ductle enough to bend back with no serious worrys, now if you had to do this a few times then I would get it replaced. Heating it and bending is going to be much cheaper than buying a new pushbar.

16. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

It looks like you didn't have the truck straight when you pulled in to the blade. This has happened to me a few times. You will know right away if this happens, just by looking at the light tower when you are raising it. You will see if a pin doesnt engage. Take your time when hooing it up and do exactly as GV and Kelley says above, to make sure the pin went all the way through.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  17. mskutnik

mskutnik Junior Member

by looking at your pic i say take it off (it's only 8 bolts) heat it & beat it till straight. don't use any wall or you will have another problem when this one is fixed