1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid idea?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Pinzgauer, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

here is another stupid idea of mine ...
    every few months one or the other fog light goes bad. I like running my cab top ambers during the day and they only come on when I hit the fog lights. Since I am sick of dishing out $40.00 each time for replacement bulbs I disconnected them.
    So i was thinking I could connect additional plow lights to the (disconnected) fog light plugs. That way I can use the fog light switch to turn them on and off.
    What do you guys think? Stupid idea?

Thanks .....
  2. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Doesn't sound like a stupid idea to me. I don't know what vehicle you have but you'd have to make sure that you don't exceed the amperage that the fog lights had so as not to exceed what the wiring can handle which might be anywhere from 35 to 65 watts.

Use the formula Watts/Volts=Amps and just don't exceed what the fogs were.

3. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

Just wondering, what you mean by additional plow lights? Also if your not afraid of wiring you could just put in a separate switch for the cap top lights.
  4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

My Thought Exactly...Just run new wires and create a new circuit and add a switch and a fuse/fuseable link in the mix.
  5. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Lights in addition to by plow lights.
  6. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a good idea to me.
  7. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

just wire the cab top lights to the parking lights