1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid float question

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Somebody was looking at my plow controller and asked me about the functions. I was not able to really explain float mode to him. Maybe I don't understand it so much myself. Can someone put it into simple terms for me? I've always thought I grasped it, but I sure can't put it into words how it works.
    I really don't think I use it much, I generally just push the button for up and down. Last storm I made a point to float while pushing and stacking, couldn't really see any different results.

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I assume it's the same from brand to brand, but here it goes. As you go across the parking lot, you may have sudden drops in the grade. W/o float, you would stay at the same height, w/ it, you drop down to the new height & the adjustments are done automatically.

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

While the blizzard doesnt have true down pressure in stock form, its weight will probably keep it close to the ground, however if it is not in float, the hydraulics are 'locked' and the plow wont follow the contour either up or down, this could cause both heavy scraping, bad on gravel lots, excessive scalping when pushing onto lawns, or skipping/uneven scraping on pavement. The float solenoid keeps the valve to the raise/lower cylinder open.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

hmmm now I can't wait to try it. I thought it worked kind of the other way around I guess.