1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid employee's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike33087, Dec 21, 2005.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

I was reading a thread over on lawnsite.com about some funny/stupid/ down right dumb things that employee's have done. Just thought it would be cool to see what some of the wonderful people we hire have done....
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

last season one of my works ex employees in 1 night,
    slid of a customers drive, off a 2 ft ledge next to the drive and got stuck. another driver pulled him out, but tore the crap out of the ledge. company lost that customer and paid $$ to fix damage.
    Same guy plowing his parents house, where he lives found out when he slid off wall that he ripped the wires for the 4wd. so no 4wd. he slid into a fence post at his parents house and caved in the passengers door. $800 to fix door.
    so all in all a good night for him. he had to pay for half the door and thats it.
  3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

My idiot's have:

1. Backed into fences
    2. Backed into fire hydrants
    3. Backed into trees
    4. Backed into one of my better commercial clients Diesel Generators (fell asleep)
    5. Forgot to lock tailgate salter pins on the the pivot mount (happened a few times with different spreaders after using the snowblowers).
    6. Forgot to PUNCH OUT at the end of the night
    7. Forgot to tell me about the $40 in food they put on my fuel card
    8. Driven off road into ditch because they couldn't see the road (??)
    9. Taken a nap
    10. Gotten out of the truck and forgot to put it in park
    11. Plowed a commercial lot and left. Forgot completly about the shoveling the walks and salting?

There are more. Can't think right now
  4. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Just here to say you get what you give and you need to remember that your employees are looking at all this from an entirely different perspective which can only be exasserbated by being treated like....an "idiot"

I know a lot of guys that live and die to please thier bosses, treat the equipment more like their own and take more pride, but thats only because they get respect and treated fairly.

It is, a two way street.

How about a thread about the guy that sleeps at the shop on a cot between big events, or while working that 24 hour salt route. Or all the dudes that come in at 2 am in the worst weather to bust a nut for you, me, or whoever.

5. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

Well said Killswitch. A good leader/boss does not refer to employees as "idiots". We are all human and make mistakes, especially after sitting in a truck plowing snow for 10,14 or 24 hours. Treat your employees with respect and value what they are doing for you and I will bet your accident rate will go down.
  6. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

I sure hope none of your employees read this forum!!!!:nono:
  7. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Registered User Join Date: Jan 2004

Who the hell cares as long as they are working????

I let my guys smoke for the reason that they work hard and push their limits both physically and mentally every night for me.

If I didn't have them, I wouldn't be doing as good as I am today.

**I saw this qoute in another thread..i guess deep down you do love your idiots!!LOL:)

OUT-SIDEMAN Junior Member

You reap what you sow

We are new to the snow removal business. But I have 3 crews of 6, doing home improvement.
    In order to prevent the "idiots" you refer to, what to you do to make sure
    they don't become "idiots"?
    Even with a language barrier with some of my guys we still communicate well with one another. If my lead guys do not have the time to teach them, I will teach them.
    I lead by example and have respect for the guys doing the work they enjoy.
    Killswitch, well put my friend. :waving:
  9. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

god it seems like every time someone post's something on this site the damn ethics police come out, chill out guys let people say and believe what they want your opions are not gonna change them.

I created this thread for a good laugh not to make people feel like "idiots", think back about some of the careless things your employee's have done and im sure they are somewhat funny now that there in the past. Just lighten up and have some fun
  10. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I`ve worn the shoes on both sides. How about all the owners and boses talk about the dumb things they have done also. remember thats why pencils have erasers. Ltes hvae fun wthi tihs thraed. :p :yow!: :salute:
  11. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Think back to the stupid mistakes we all have made over time.
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't take it personally

Hey I've been both: Stupid and an Idiot! In college working on the schools lawn crew I fell asleep on a Hustler only to wake up mowing circles:sleeping: On another occasion I was mowing down a steep roadside slope with the Hustler, hit a new gopher hole, the Hustler stopped and I went rolling forward right onto the mower deck:eek:

Well that was a long time ago as an employee, so I was an Idiot (Its okay I have a backbone, I can take it) Now as far as doing funny things now (because owners don't do stupid idiotic things;) the only thing I've done in 3 years plowing is back into a tree. Technically the term is slide on ice for 30' all the while yelling stop you over weight pig!

Look people, dumb stuff happens, that is why AFV gives away $100,000 to the funniest IDIOT every year.
  13. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Best story I have is one of the biggest lots we used to do, we lost the lot to a lowballer. First storm they had the lot they had a dumptruck with a tailgate spreader. Dude pulled out of the lot and drove down the road with the body fully raised. Took out about 6 telephone poles. Made my boss feel pretty good, and the rest of us for that matter.

Personally, my second year plowing I got a little bit of a "Now I'm an expert!" attitude. I was in a TINY lot backing into a corner between two buildings. I was only using my mirrors cause "Now I'm an expert!" I was watching my left mirror, because I thought I was closer to the building coming up my left side than the building that was behind me. Well.... I was closer to the building behind me. Damaged my truck pretty badly. Luckily it was an old truck and already was in bad shape. It's a learning experience though, and I consider myself lucky that I didn't do any damage to the building. I now always turn my head no matter how tired my neck is.

This thread is constructive, an opportunity to learn from other's mistakes, instead of the "hard way."

14. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I sub plowing for my town, and during the big storm 2 wks ago, I plowed about 200 ft. not realizing my plow wasn`t down. WHOOPS :eek:
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I bet you've never made one of these mistakes, right? Because every employer is perfect?

Just out of curiosity, why is taking a nap a bad thing? Maybe it prevented even more idiotic things from happening.

Mike, it isn't the ethic police, this forum is a place where we can all learn things. What I and the others are trying to do is show Quality that maybe his guys aren't idiots, maybe they're just HUMAN, like we all are. Maybe they don't give a crap because their boss calls them idiots. Who knows. I take offense to that comment, because I would never call an employee an idiot, I respect them. I even fired a customer that called my employees idiots. It was over $50K a year, but it was obvious that this guy didn't respect me or my employees and I am not a slave to anybody, so I will not put up with things like that.

We all do stupid things and I think that is what you were asking about. Had he started off his post with: "My guys\employees\etc", this wouldn't have happened. He brought it on himself.
  16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

One guy salted the wrong lot the whole time the supervisor yelling at him over the 2 way to stop. He didn't speak english or know how to use the radio. Stupid? No, he just didn't have proper training.

Stupid things I've done? Stop at the store and start driving away with plow down.

Made piles of snow only to realize you shouldn't pile the snow there.

Plowed a section of parking lot only to realize you will have to push snow thru that section to finish another and replow after.

Remember, employees are only as stupid as their employers! They might do really dumb things, but you are the moron who hired them and keeps paying them.
  17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im new so I dont have as much stuff you guys have....

But two years ago mowing, I was doing a front yard, first time mowing it, real long grass. You guys who mow know how this is going to end up....

Long story short, I hit a brass water shut off valve, flew across the street and 3 houses down and broke 3 windows, went through the Driver window, then hit windsheild, then went through the passenger window.

Lesson Learned: Walk the account when its new and long.

A few weeks ago at my last house, and my neighbors house down the street from me, I smacked a fence with my truck because it wasnt in 4wd.

Im sure as time goes on i will have better stories. lol.
  18. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

I think when my guys plowed the wrong lot for 4 hours that took the cake. I was half tempted to plow the snow back onto the lot
  19. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

How many "idiots" could you possibly have employed since you have owned this business? Your 19 years old, you cant fully own as large a business as your website indicates until your 18.

I guess you are the perfect one that makes $500,000 a storm. I wish I could be as perfect as you.

Either way, I dont have employees, one person operation here. Stupidest thing I have done is back/slide through a glass door. I was backing up too fast like I had done for the past 10+ passes, hit the brakes and started to turn and the truck did not want to stop.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Chris, the funniest thing about his profile it says "damn good employees". Do you have idiots or damn good employees? Make up your mind.