1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid employees

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowplower1, Mar 10, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I had an employee who is still technically an employee but is not working currently. Throughout the year, i would be plowing with him and notice he was not stopping all the way (not even close) and told him 2 or more times that he needs to stop doing that because he is going to ruin the transmission.
    welp, transmission blew. I should have known better and just fired him after i had to tell him a second time. Lesson learned.
    The worst part is i wanted to fire him before because he was just way too slow but had no one to replace him.

2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Hard lesson....I learn it too often

3. snowplower1

yeah, it might have been a little good it happened just cause i was done with that truck, it was its last year anyway and my dad always thinks he can get another year outta trucks when theyre dead and wastes money on them. but still mad he did that. I know now i will tell employees first that it will never be acceptable to do that and if i catch you doing it, you will be lucky to not get fired there and if its ever seen again you're done on the spot.

4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I wonder if there is a good video on the do's and do nots ???

Showing how to plow and how not to plow ???

5. snowplower1

Searched all over youtube for plowing lessons, found a couple small hints but the best thing i found was a website that gave step by step of best procedure of plowing, it was good for all the guys. But i definitely want to find something that gives do's and dont's on how to treat the truck and plow.

6. snowplower1

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I am sure someone had to have made a video ?? At least wrote a book.

If not I have one for sale. Mail me check and I will write one

8. snowplower1

I may just have to use my time wisely this summer and create a good handbook for the next winter

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I had one that used piles for brakes, till we got wet snow and temps drop turn piles to Ice and next snow first job he put the plow under the truck from slamming into the pile.
    I told him not to do it and he stop when I was around.
    Next storm pop up and he came by wanting to know what truck he was going to run. I said one you was driving. Then he said where is the plow at, I said in the back it was a shovel. That was last time I seen him. He said, he was a plow driver only.

10. snowplower1

That's great! I just don't understand what's so hard about doing a simple request. I've been redoing all my work guidelines that basically state everything they could screw up and trying to let them know that ive put up with enough and there's no more second chances.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I learned to look at there personal truck how they treat it. That guy's truck was beat up, was like 5 years old to.

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

And then....you have those subs afraid to stack snow. I have one that only pushes up to a pile

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a tuck with a stick,that will make him stop

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's that 3rd pedal for?

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And how long you been plowing?
    And how do you train YOUR employees?

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

not to throw stones but.....i watch bosses and owners tell employees to run equipment a certain way, then they operate in a way that also abuses equipment, when some says the transmission hot light is on they blame the tranny cooler, but never think about how they are operating it....everything is hurry up, that results in always pushing the equipment to the limits and shortening its life

17. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Whats a "Tuck"??????.......:whistling:

Before we critique other peoples spelling and grammar.......Maybe we should check our own.....:laughing:

18. snowplower1

I agree leolkfm and I know I almost always treat our equipment good especially having my brand new truck. My guys know there is a time when you're gonna have to put a little abuse on a truck cause another truck broke down and we gotta make up for it but there's no reason to be doing that all the time. The worst part is, usually throwing it in drive before it's outta reverse makes you plow a little faster but he was still so dang slow

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like looking at your employee management skills might be in order, versus bitching about "stupid employees"

They're only as smart as the person teaching them.

20. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I have them ride with me while they are they do sidewalks. Half the time they are in the truck. I explain why and how, what not to do and what to do. It helps.

But bottom line, they treat stuff the way they want. I watch and if they are abussive I pull them aside and talk. If it continues I yank them.

This is one reason I like subs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You tend to treat your own stuff better.

Oh..BTW 35 years