1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid dog.....

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gotsnow?, Jan 10, 2008.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Today I got home and walked into the garage where the dog stays while we are out of the house; my Unimount is currently off the truck and setting in the garage, apparently close enough to the dogs run that she could get a hold of the wiring harness...... Stupid dog chewed right through the left hand side wiring harness that runs up to the left hand side head light! :angry: :angry: My question is: Can I just splice each wire back together, shrink rubber each splice and then wrap it all in black electrical tape?? Thanks for your guys' thoughts, David-

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Splicing it and shrink wrapping it is what I would do. A friend of mines wiring harness came loose in his truck and the fan grabbed it and tore the whole thing apart. Since the truck wasn't worth that much to begin with we just spliced it and shrink wrapped it all back together. Just make sure that you get all the right wires back together, and theres no contact area on any of the wires. But instead of using black electrical tape, I would get some really big shrink wrap. I got some at our local auto parts store.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ya think....

dog smart.....

splice away unless you want to buy a new harness..

No need to put tape over the shrink wrap..
    Tape first then shrink wrap the tape will act as a backer.

fyi,,One wrap of 3m supper 33 will insulate up to 600v

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

My stupid dogs did that to my garage door safety beam dealy-ma-boppers. Of couse they couldn't just chew it up in the middle. They had to break it off right where it comes out of the plastic.

5. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Great! I was hoping it would be a simple fix ( I don't want to buy a new wiring harness right now, have too many other plow related expenses *i.e. new mount for my new Ford SD). I should be able to come up with some big shrink wrap I believe my dad keeps an assortment of sizes on hand.
    Also, correct Snofarmer, smart dog... stupid master, I've learned she likes to chew anything that belongs to me (my wife and I both have our shoes and a sandles on the same shoe rack in the garage at doggy level, does she pick my wifes shoes or sandles?? NEVER, always one of my pairs....... everytime.) I shoulda kept the snow plow out of her reach. Thanks for the suggestions and confirmation on this fix! David-

6. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Thankfully she did just chew it in two half up the healight mounting arm (?) So about 12" of slack on one side and relatively unlimited amount of slack on the other side. I love the dog, but man does she piss me off at times and make me reconsider why I bought her!

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

my dog only chews on stuff that I leave out so she can get to it.......stupid dog owner........

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

thats right! next time make sure you pick your plow up and put it away;)

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You dont need 2 head lights......

Bet you willnt leave stuff lay out again LOL

J/k good luck

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The dog needs to be trained... stupid owner,,
    Dogs don't come pre-programed...

I wonder too

11. karol

karol Senior Member

stupid dog

To avoid this in the future give you're dog a good run before you leave him or her alone in the house. Second option is don't give them full run of the house when you're not home put them in a crate. They would have to be crate trained first, can't just throw them in there if they have never been in a crate and leave them in there for hours. Gradually. I find crating work the best. After a while they know the drill. Master get's dressed you call him with a cookie to the crate open the crate dog goes in eat's his cookie and goes to sleep. wesport

12. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I understand the dog does not come preprogrammed, and she is not left unattended to run free in the house or even the garage (normally). When we leave the house we put her out in the garage on a chain that runs through her dog door and out into her kennel area. We keep everything we don't want her chewing on out of reach of her "run" in the garage... However, I must have had the plow a little to close to her run. Next time I'll put it up. :p

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmm. Let me see. Dog takes out light - Dog must want the job :nod:

dog_light.JPG

14. Alan Letts

Alan Letts Junior Member

Musta been a LAB or a cross LAB breed. Can't tell you how many things were chewed up in the puppy phase. Now it's kennelled. I learned.

AL

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

that pic is hilarious!!!!!!

dogs chew wires cuz the rubber feels good in their teeth...springy...

dogs chew husbands shoes always as sing of submission...your smell is what they are after...

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

[​IMG]

17. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

She's a German Short Haired pointer. Love that picture!!! I'm thinking I'll print that out and show it to the dog, she doesn't like being cold, maybe she'll take the hint........ ;) Dissociative I never had thought of that point of view, thanks for the idea. That does make a lot of sense!

18. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I think your dog works for the local lowballer :)

19. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I rescued an older German Short Haired pointer, after having him for a few weeks I gave him the run of the house one day for a few hours. He tore down the blinds in 2 rooms and shredded a leather chair and spread the contents of said chair all over house, other than that he was a great dog. Last time dumb owner did that. I am kind of concerned that you leave your dog chained up unattended with in/out access to the garage. What if the chain gets caught on something which could even lead to the dog choking? Its the same as when you put them in a crate you should remove their collar so it does not get caught on the bars of the crate.

20. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

If you're going to use the crimp style butt splices, buy a tube of kitchen and bath silicone and squirt it into the ends of the butt splice before you put the wires in. I have done this on a boat trailer wiring harness and it keeps the connection corrosion free. A layer of shrink tubing covering that will keep out anything. Good luck! :salute: