1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Diesel ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Oct 20, 2007.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I just got a 04 duramax a few months ago and now that it is getting colder, I was wondering where I might find the plug so I can plug it in at night. If anyone can help I would apperciate it. I went to a dealership in my area and he said that it might be still zip tied up and out of the way???? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Look on the passenger side of the motor. Between second battery and the air filter, closer to the back of the wheel well if that makes sense. Its on a short cord.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's where it is, just stand on something and use a flash light.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

it's a fricking PITA
    it's way underneath, get a small pair of cutters and then try adn thread it thru to get it to the grill.
    it barely (if at all) fits.
    I love my duramax, but the cord is ridiculous.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

frig that. if i wanted to plug something in i would buy a electric car.
    personally, i wouldnt plug it in. screw it.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

diesels' don't warm up just idling
    it's real nice to plug it in, unplug it, start it, and within a few minutes have warm air blowing
    at 10 below.
    oh yes.
    it's worth plugging it in.

does wonders for your engine lasting too.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, tell us how you really feel.

8. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Dan,

The cord and plug are located above the front wheel well passengers side near the frame. The d-max takes along time to warm up even when it's plugged in but it will start a whole lot easier.

Dan

9. bribrius

yeah. i tend to be a little blunt. never had one not start on me though. just run rather rough for the first twenty minutes or so which you can learn to ignore.. probably why hes looking for the cord. the guy who owned the truck before him never used it.

10. Jgrub75

Jgrub75 Member

It is tied up on the pass. side on the fender well. If you feed it out of the loom it is in it will reach the bumper.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's not about if it will start, it's about making the motor last. You don't see people with heavy machinery, just get in and work them, they let them warm up. If you plug your truck in, then you can leave in a few minutes as long as you don't rev it very high.

Maybe the guy before him kept it in a heated garage. I use to plug in my gasser, just so I would get heat quicker.

12. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Plug it in - definitely helps. Last year was my first winter with a Diesel - you can leave it plugged in overnight or put it on a timer. You can notice a difference in starting it cold vs. warm (plugged in).

Yeah the cord is a bit short, :cry: but re-route it through the grill and it peaks out between the headlight and grill. Good luck xysport

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks guys, Its not that I am a pu$$y about the cold, its just I want the truck to last and also I want heat when I get in it in the morning. I hated that with my 6.0 i had.It never got warm until about 5 min down the road. Also the guy that owned it before me must have had it in his garage, and also must have never drove it either. It only had 19 thousand on it when I bought it and its a 04, I have only had it 4 months. Thanks again for the help, i will look for it today. Oh and also the last thing I would do is let is idle in my garage. I would smoke everybody out of the house, and the whole wall would be black. Heck, My sand bags the I keep underneath a storage rack are already getting black just from start up. I WOULD NEVER LET IT SIT IN THE GARAGE AND WARM UP!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

HD trucks with towing/plowing packages have a massive cooling system. Downfall to that is there is a tremendous amount of coolant to heat up before you can get any heat. I plug mine in with a timer for about 3 hours prior to going out. I also had a remote starter installed to help with building heat. I'm just one of those people who hates to drive a vehicle with a cold engine. That's where oil leaks come from, not to mention most of your internal engine wear. Guys I used to work with always got in their new trucks, turned the key and before the key snapped back it was in drive with their foot to the floor. Made me cringe. One of them had their new Tundra back in the shop within 4 months for rear main seal and major trans gasket failure.
    Think about how thin that gasket shrinks to when it's real cold, and the metal around it is cold. Gasket needs a chance to warm back up before you put a load on the engine. Add to that some nice thick 15w40 that is not ready to flow yet. Actually, even in the summer you should warm an engine-80 degrees outside temp is still nowhere near operating temp for an engine.

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Good tip detroitdan

And I found and routed the plug outside so I can plug it in at night. Thanks again for the help guys, I pry would have never found it otherwise.

Ryan

16. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

I thought that I read somewhere in the manual that the heater needs to be pluged in for atleast 4 hrs. And on gm's I believe all it does is heat the coolant. Could be wrong though.

17. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

on some of the gm's it needs to be plugged in for atleast 3hrs, and what it does is heat the coolent in the block there fore heating the engine aswell.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Coming from a guy that plows with a 1500 silverado thats some good advice.:salute:

Me
    I would plug her in when the temps drop below 25deg F.

I have operated a lot of heavy equipment in the winter and it helps with starting and it is easer on the whole system if you keep her warm.

19. bribrius

i dont think my silverado is the issue its probably the fact that when i was in business before we leased all our trucks so we didnt care about them that much. :nod:

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So your advice is to tell him to "screw it"

The guy just got a new( to him) truck and you tell him screw it.
    With friends like you who needs enemies?

Because in a previous life you leased a truck then abused it, so screw it?:dizzy:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007