1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stupid customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Dec 23, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

really... if i didnt want their business, i would just end the contract now

I have one large commecial , retail parking lot. of course this time of year the place is a mad house

i get a call this morning, saying the cart pushing ppl , are having a hard time

well, there are 3 trucks on your site, and all they are doing is driving incircles cleaning drive lanes. We cant even do that much , because its so busy there. drive 5 feet then stop and wait

manager says ok , just making sure

i get a call at 4 today , i dont see your plow driving around, and the enterance looks "shotie"

i explain there is a truck still on site, and has been all day long. your enterance looks bad becasue he cant plow it , too many ppl are stopping their car to load up what they just purchased. he plows, and 2 mins later they track more snow. Its STILL SNOWING ,

i tell him , their is a truck there too, and i will come look at the site asap

he calls me 15 mins later - are you here?

ummm, let me think, accross town , in rush hour, during a snow storm , 2 days befor christmas? what do you think

sorry , i just needed to vent

they are constently compairing me to the company next door, refuring to him as god basicly.... i have pictues of every storm...his property and mine. Im not gonna post them up for reasons we all know... but really come on. If the city roads look a mess, how do you think yoru parking lot is gonna look,. on top of that... the jones next door, hasnt even been service yet... you had 1 truck all day , and 2 additional prior to you opening
  2. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

do you get paid hourly to sit and wait while plowing? If so, you should suggest sending another truck or two to help out........even though its propbably not gonna make a difference, at least the customer will see you out there and you'll make more money!!!!
  3. elite1msmith

from chicago

i wish , try seasonal contract

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

use a wheeler in front with a wide blade if its only a couple '' youll be able to get it too a truck easier imo
  5. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Good thinking!
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah that sounds like a great idea.:rolleyes: Some customers are hard to please, day time snows are a pain but it sounds like your trying. We try and do drive lanes with a 12 ft pusher, people seem to give a larger peice more respect.
  7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I know how you feel. It seems as every one needs to be out and about. STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

I'll stick to my smaller commercial properties that take 45minutes per day and I charge by the storm. Almost got a seasonal bid for local applebees this year glade I didnt or I'd be losing money so far with these snowfall amounts.

Don't blame you for being stressed, sounds like the store manager needs a dose of reality. Tell him about how you heard the peps next door have hit 7 cars and a old lady and maybe then he will just be happy your not wreckin stuff.
  9. Zach

Zach Senior Member

You should try to flatter the owner by saying the reason the guy nextdoor's lot is so clean is because his store isnt as good as your store and nobody wants to come to it :D Or you could just plow over his car and fcuk the contract!
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

oh , his lot was only cleaner 1 time.... all the other pics i have show , that we have clean drive lanes, down to water, and they havent even been touched
  11. big acres

big acres Senior Member

If it weren't seasonal... I'd have one truck there just to block traffic. We've got a big college dorm that we do. The skid guy pulls into a stall to backdrag and can't back out because two cars are already fighting over the spot!
  12. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Ellite, I've read plenty of your posts and you're no rookie. Certainly you must have something in the contract that defines the cut-off between seasonal service and extra "above and beyond" service that you can bill for?

What you have here is either an unducated manager who has been told "Call him all you want, the price is the same"

An a-hole who is intentionally taking advantage of your willingness to satisfy your customer.

This is the fat guy who skips breakfast and lunch so he can stick it to 'em at the all-you-can-eat buffet. How are you going to pull the reigns back is the question?

Merry Christmas, btw.
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

lol, yeah i know , and with most cusotmers, i would draw the line, ... but this one is a new account, and they pay BIG dollars, for a LITTLE landscaping....they have alreay asked me to rebuild a retaining wall 25 feet tall - 300 long.,.. i told them call en engineer first then get me a set of the prints.... i dont mind having the truck their for most of the day, ...but when its there working , its snowing , and your calling.... :help:
  14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Yeah, occassionally will get a call from an HOA manager saying someone callled wondering were we are... "We have five pieces of equipment on-site as we speak; have they looked out the window?!"
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

his, and mine

snow customer.jpg

16. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Sounds like the Wally World I plowed for the last two years , but I never heard any complaints .
    I refused to back up with the F-650 and a 10 ft. plow , because the customers Never gave Me a break . :gunsfiring:
    In keeping the main lanes open , every couple of passes , I made a pass down the front of the store , and tried to keep it black . I often saw the Manager looking out , but He never said anything to Me .
    Or complained to My Boss. payup
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Store customers are the worst during a storm.... anyone ever play that game "Lemmings" back in the Late 80's?

Thats the customers I'm talking about.... :D
  18. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Go have fun! http://www.elizium.nu/scripts/lemmings/