1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stumped on this erratic problem! 7.3 Diesel?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by peterk800xc, Oct 19, 2013.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Now that my front axle woes are fixed, another quirky problem starts.For the last few weeks, every once and awhile while driving down the road, the engine just quits! No stumbling, no rough running, justs quits running like you just shuit the key off.Its a 2002 7.3 with 115000 miles on it.After you sit on the side of the road for a few minutes, recycle the key from off to start, the motor starts right up and it will not do this again for sometime. I have taken it to 2 shops and a Dealer and there are no codes being shown on the computer, so what could be making this do this? Thanks again in advance for all your Guys help.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Replace you can sensor. Its getting weak but not enough to set a code yet.

3. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like it could be signs of a bad CPS. $25 part and 10 minutes to change.

4. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Has your camshaft position sensor been replaced? When we had our 2000 f250 stroker it had a similar issue and that is what it was a $25 part.

I dont type fast enough 2 other guys beat me.......

5. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Just a heads up for others, many times it wont set off a code at all. Which can make a frustrating thing to troubleshoot. Most 7.3 guys (like myself) always have a spare on hand.

6. peterk800xc

Thanks

Yes it was changed about 14000 miles ago under the recall program.Where is this sensor and how difficult is it to change out?

7. peterk800xc

What is a can sensor?

Did you mean camshaft position sensor?

8. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Right above the crankshaft. Single 10mm bolt and a 3-wire plug. Easiest to do under the truck.

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Check your battery cables too

10. Crackersnow

Crackersnow Junior Member

MK97 has it right most likely that

11. peterk800xc

Thanks.

Just ordered 2 new ones online from pure Diesel performance. Cannot find any of the black sensors, just the gray ones but if they work, I don't really care on the colors.:drinkup:PS- if anyone has a source on the black sensors, please let me know.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I think they changed the colors after the recall. Makes them easier to identify old vers new

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with the others, always have one in the glove box.

Also - you can upgrade your Glow Plug relay to a "Stancor" style or just buy a Fisher/Western Round Style Solenoid. It lasts much longer and allows more power through to your glow plugs. Makes for much easier cold starts.

14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Ya damn auto correct.

15. peterk800xc

Thanks again

Just want to say Thanks again for all your Guys help. Hope this will cure the beast's problem for another winter. Have a great plowing season!

16. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Grey will be the updated. The one I got from Ford was grey. Dealer typically has a few on hand. Keep a spare and a 1/4 ratchet with a 10mm and small flathead in the truck.

17. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

On a side note. You can goto an international dealer and get other colors. Dark blue IIRC which has different timing. Its for a t444e

18. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Just throwing this out there, if the CPS dosent fix it, there's a plastic connector just under the valve cover that the spring clip deteriorates over time from oil/heat etc. and can be falling out. Ford makes a kit with tiny clips that go in the connector to fully seat it and hold it in. Just had one in the shop three months ago for this same issue. CPS didn't fix it, it died on my road test, then I found the connector issue. It hasn't been back since

19. peterk800xc

Seems for now the new Sensor fixed the problem.Idles better and has not quit once.Hoping this will do it.