1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stumped, Need Some Ideas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Gardens, Dec 7, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Truck in my sig is going to get the pre-wetting system installed later this week.

Still haven't come up with the tank for the truck though. At 10 gallons of liquid per ton of rock salt, I'm thinking a 60-70 Gallon tank should be sufficient. 80% of the time I only go through 6 tons of salt during an event.

The problem is what tank to use and where to mount it. My only cheaper option would be to put it in the dump bed towards the front. But then locking it down becomes an issue as I'll have to either drill some holes in the bed to put eye-hooks in or u-bolts of some sort. Or I could weld D-rings in place to hook to to strap the tank down.

The bed has seen better days and I'm hoping to get a couple of more years out of it without dumping any more repair money into it as it's rotting out and either I'll have to get another truck or replace the dump bed. With that said, I don't want to go through the front bulkhead as it's starting to deteriorate and the front corner post below the cab protector are starting to rot.

Only other option I can think of is hanging a tank off the tailgate in the rear. Can't really do side mount tanks as I have drop sides and like to utilize them in the winter.

Any thoughts?

2. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Its hard to tell from your picture if you have space available under the bed, behind the cab. I have a couple of 6-7 yard dumps that have tanks there. It shouldn't matter if your sides have to drop down as that is in the summer (I'm guessing). I also have a tank that attaches on the tailgate...A really good option if you don't have other room.

http://www.plastic-mart.com is a great source for tanks.

Hope this helps!

-Wayne

3. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

What are you using for a spreader? under tailgate? Mini Tailgate? V-box? Changes what you could do. But I would lean to using a saddle tank over or strapped to the tailgate of the truck. a long rectangle tank with a set of hooks that can hook over the top of the tailgate or even side of the dump body.

4. White Gardens

Under Tailgate Salt spreader.

I'm leaning towards mounting something to the tailgate. My only concern is clearance to the tailgate on the salt spreader, but I think I can work around that.

Right now I have found a leg/saddle type tank at Tractor supply that is 65 gallons for 150.00 or so. I'm afraid that with the cylinder style tank that it will be sticking way to far off the back, but might not be as bad as I think.

I looked on-line for some already made tailgate tanks, and I'm scared to find out what they cost. Might not be as bad as I think, but I just need to keep reminding myself the cost savings of doing a pre-wetting system by the amount of salt I can potentially not use.

Snow Ex had some nice complete units and tanks, I might call them first thing on Monday to see if I can just get a tank from them instead of buying the whole unit. I've already got the pump and plumbing I want to use, as for switches and wiring too. The tanks they have seem more the dimensions that would work in my situation.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I got a free poly 60 gal barrel with two bung holes in top.I'm thinking about mounting it up front.I don't have power down on my bed so I'd be worried that my bed would not come down if mounted in rear..My other thought was to mount tank under the bed.Just experimenting now so looking for easiest way to see how it works out. It seems around my area the state trucks mount to the tailgate but they're running muni bodies with built in sanders.

6. m_ice

m_ice Junior Member

you might check for poly tanks used for potable water in RVs and house boats, they tend to be long and narrow were you could get the capacity you want without sacrafising alot of space. Even mount it on a saddle up towards your headache rack where it would be up off the floor and salt (although that would probably limit visibility out the back window)

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

see above

I'm curious if you've done any figuring...or have been given real life figures of what you'll really "save"???? I've looked into liquids a little, but just dont see the big savings....especially with pre-treating the salt at the spinner....pre-treatment of the pavement with straight liquid seems like it may produce decent results, but even then, I just dont see it being that great????

I dont think White is in to that kinda thing

Did anyone mention mounting it to the tailgate?;)

8. White Gardens

Ha! No, I'm not into bungholes. :eek::) I'll leave that up to Beavis and Butthead.

Potentially you can save up to 1/3- 1/2 of your salt usage and that's what I'm after.

The other thing I'm after is this...........

Last season, though a light season, we did get some snow. Each snow fall was a clipper type system with only 1" of snow or so. With these clipper systems, the air and snow was cold, so basically the moisture content of the snow was minimal.

So, it actually took more salt to throw at the snow in order to get it to brine on the surface and burn it of. But, with that added salt, you had lots that looked a lot like gravel lots when all said and done.

Now, not only do I do a large lot that I'm paid seasonal on and I want to minimize my salt usage, but also, I picked up some smaller commercial accounts this year that was complaining about the gravel lot syndrome that seemed to appear last year due to the dry snow.

As for the tailgate, I don't think that is going to work unless I find the right tank along with building the right brackets to mount it. One of my other concerns is the weight of the spreader pulling on the rear pillars along with the added weight of a tank with water pulling on them. Again the dump bed has seen better days.

As for RV tanks, I haven't found one that I like to fit the bill. The ones with the right dimensions are waste tanks and they have an overall odd shape to them.

Still working on this setup, I'm in no rush as I want to get it right. As of right now I might have a new dump bed installed, but it's a 9' bed when I need a 10'er. But, with the 12" length difference, it might give me an option to mount a tank between the cab and dump body.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. LON

LON Senior Member

I have a 75gal tapered tank assembly and mount that is for tailgate mounting around here somewhere if you're interested. When it get lighter out I'll try to get pics.

10. White Gardens

That's awesome LON, take a look and shoot some pics if you can. I'd like to see what you got.

11. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i picked up two last year on gov deals .com I saw several on auction under snow removal the other day.