1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

studded tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tastebeer, Jan 9, 2010.

1. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Need help on finding studded tires in 225/70R 19.5 F or G load. I can not seem to find any manufacturer that makes this tire that is studdable.
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think studded tires and plowing are a great idea..........But thats just my 2 cents!!!
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

wouldent that be asking for a very bumpy ride??? why would you even need to do this? i can push snow in 2 wheel drive. except not very well
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Studded tires are great for plowing.

Bumpy ride? What are you talking about?
  5. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

They are illegal in VA on trucks with a GVWR of 10K and over.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I can't see the bumpy ride thing either...and I can see the traction benefit...but, I was refering to not needing it and pushing the limits of the truck. We've all tried to push that pile back a little further and been this close to getting hung up.
  7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

everyone i know runs studs in the winter, you just notice alittle more noise on the highway.

i run double studded(2 studs in each lug) on my daily driver..stops on a dime!

i believe cooper makes a tire like your talking about, i've seen them before. if not any tire can be studded. all the tire shops around here have a stud drill or you can buy one and do it yourself.
  8. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

In some areas of some states, studded tires are illegal no matter what vehicle or weight.
  9. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

The problem is repairing all the scratches in the driveways left when you happen to spin the tires. Studs do not grip as well as regular tires on payment. If you are plowing over uniced pavement studs seem to slip more than regular tires. If you only plow packed down snow or iced over pavement than the studs will work better. Either way if you do spin you will scratch the pavement.

I don't know about bumpy rides.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How often do you spin? I (almost) never spin the tires. Sounds like you need more ballast
  11. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

tirerack.com. Isaw them there. You could use the site fore reference to see who makes them
  12. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Doesn't seem like you'd be spending a lot of time plowing on packed snow down in Virginia. I've pushed my way through 4' high of packed crap at the end of driveways before, and I've never run studs in my tires. And someone else mentioned how they don't stop as well on dry or wet pavement, which is true.

Basically, if you're in Alaska like the one guy, with constant snow cover, yeah I can see it. Down in Virginia? Not so much.
  13. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

I run studds in VA, I plow in the western part of the state along the I-81 corridor, many of the roads are rual county roads that are mountainous. I have been running studds for over 23yrs and they are a great help on ice and hard packed snow. I did plow for several yrs in Watertown NY and studs are not neccessary because of type of snow and lack of hills.
    I am exempt from the 10,000gvw law in the state because I am a contractor for VDOT.

But I still would like to find those tires that are studdable for the 19.5 rim. I did not see any options from Cooper but I will keep looking.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought we had a new sponsor that is a tire dealer, but don't see a link right now....
  15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Up here in Maine studs are pretty standard on most trucks in the winter right now almost all of my driveways are nothing but glare ice now since the last storm ended with rain and now it has been down below zero everynite since so they all look like skating rinks.......... without studs it would be hopeless to try to plow they uphill ones and any tilt to the drive and the whole truck is going to try to slide to the ditch............... I have to run chains sometimes on my front tires let alone just the studs and we have 800 lbs of ballast ????? Down in Virginia I have no idea the pros or cons of studs
  16. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Some but not most commercial plowers use studds the the Shenandoah Valley where I'm located. I have them on all my trucks, but like you in Maine, in some deep/wet snows I need to put chains on vehicles, I usually put them on the back since all my trucks are limited slip. I have anywhere from 1100 to 2600 lbs of weight/ballest on back. Also, all trucks are diesel and the additional weight up front helps keep the front from slidding in direction of plow.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The UPS guy today had 19.5 tires. He had some sweet Michelins up front. Snow tread, heavy siping. I forget the three letter name. The rears were the same carcass, but a much different tread. More of an old school heavy truck shape, no siping, but a few studs.

He said he had the nice Michelins all the way around last year and the truck was a tank.
  18. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

http://www.treadepot.com/ i beleive this is the site you are refering to. they have some good deals, but i have not looked for something like the op wants.