1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Studded tires or not..?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Boondox, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Time for some new winter tires on my 2500HD RCLB 4x4. And of course the big question is should I get studs or not? Looking at Cooper Discoverer M&S as they've served me well in the past. I have studded Haaks on the RAV4 that seem to have made a big difference on the slippery stuff.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use studded tires on my non-commercial plow truck?

TIA, Pete

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

1. levave marks on nice concrete
    2. only help on ice, don't do any good on snow alone.
    thats the only thing i can think of

3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Thanks, Jay. We don't have any nice concrete nearby. With -40 winters it gets really expensive to place footers deep enough to avoid damage, so everybody just uses gravel or leaves things plain dirt.

I've used studded snows before on my regular car and found they helped a bit on ice, which we get a lot of early and late in the season. But my concern was more about possible damage to a studded tire from carrying all the weight of the plow and ballast. But I guess an E-rated tire could handle it.

Thanks again, Pete

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Plus they will get you were your going on the roads safely. Studs on my Volvo.. Can't beat them for traction.