1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stuck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stiffs_00, Oct 15, 2009.

1. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

my plow is stuck in the up position fully extended,it sounds like its working but is going no where. any ideas ?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

What kind of plow would be helpful to know.

3. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

fisher minute mount

4. richardb200373

richardb200373 Junior Member

If you are just talking about the cylinder piston being up with out the plow actualy on the truck... the is no down pressure on the cylinder.. if works off of weight... if this is the case, get someone to hit the switch in the down position while another person pulls down on the chain mount to bring it back down, or put a bar or something on there to give your more force.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Bad connection, bad controller, S1 not shifted, S2 stuck shifted.

Will it angle either way normally, with it angled on way can you manually push it back the other way?

While its raised, dont go pulling any valves out unlesss you put a jack under it first, pull the right one and it will come down rather quickly and will leave a mess to clean up.

And to make it easy to see what were talking about, go to fishers site and you can view, print or download the mechanics guide for your plow.

6. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

fisher plow is 10 years old, its on the truck, i had replaced the base lug, didn't know when i took out the 2 bolts out , fluid would leak. after i replaced it i was going to add fluid, raised the plow to see if it worked and it stuck fully extended. how do i go about fixing it ? i know i should have added the fluid but i guess i had a brain fart. any suggestions ?

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

no fluid will do it everytime

8. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

iceyman how do i lower it ? any suggestions ? i can't add fluid now till it lowered ?right?

9. Crash935

First of all, can you angle it? Does it angle only to one side? And can you push the blade back and forth manually?

I gave you a list of things it could be but we need to know exactly what it does before we can tell you how to fix it.

Did you go to fishers site and find the mechanics guide? Its going to make it easier for you tofind what were talking about when we tell you to check something.

10. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

its all the way up, will not lower or turn left or right, it is stuck slighty angled right. plow is on the truck hooked up. all no's to your questions, did you read the part that i replaced the base lug ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Has nothing to do with fluid level. You likely lost the ground for the valve coils.

12. Crash935

Yup, and that has nothing to do with your problem, thats why i asked the questions i did. The more info you can give us the easier it is for those of us who can tell you how to fix it find the exact cause of your problem.

I think I know where basher is heading with his answer so ill keep going there,

Did you take the pump off the truck when you replaced the base lug?

13. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

Could be air bound... did you try releasing hydraulic pressure and see if the pistons move then....

14. Crash935

Nope, thats not it.

15. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

all i did was take the lug base off, 2 screws, didn't remove anything else,well i had to slide the rod into the base lug. b&b what do you mean lost the ground for the ground for the valve coils ? and what does that mean ? crash whats the fix ?

16. Crash935

You made sure there wasnt anyting in the new base lug, made sure the old o-ring was removed and installed the new o-ring?

New install or existing? Did you change anything on the truck, new battery maybe?

As for dropping the ground, on the back of the valve body there is a plastic cover for the valves and coils. The coils need to have a constant ground and then receive power from the controller when you go for a function. With the plow plugged in, check the org/blk wire at the coils for a ground signal.

17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

He had to of had the pump off the plow, or at the very least off the head gear tipped upside down. The base lug is opened to the inside of pump housing if I'm not mistaken. Not to but in here, but I would check the wiring tabs to make sure there all on snug on the coils. I bet he pulled one if not more of them off when he moved the pump to get to the bottom. If did so intentionally (which he stated he didn't), then they may have been put back wrong.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Out of curiosity, why would you only be changing the base lug? Express fluid change??

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

Just to clarify, you took this off right.......

rtrt.jpg

The hole "rod" thing kinda confused me.

Number 52 is what I would check, there is 3 of them with 2 tabs on each, follow the control harness down to the pump & remove the black plastic housing on the side of the pump, then make sure the female clips off the control harness inside are nicely seated over the tabs on all of the coils. Watch your toes as the plow may come crashing down if you find a loose connection....not likley as there is no one at the controls, but better to be safe then sorry.

rtrt.jpg

20. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

last year i hit a sewer cover (teeth rattling )well the base lug broke(i was left a u shape), but the pump& base lug would sit on top of the rod or pin that goes thru the base lug , a couple of times it came off but i would lift it back on.this was a new install, nothing in base , used o ring, took off old one,i never took the pin out of the top when i change it so the pump hung there , the pins i refer to i believe are parts 20, 1 in the top & 1 that goes thru the o ring. question ? would it go up and stop if it was the ground ? i mentioned the fluid flowed out too.