1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck rotator??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bowtie_guy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I picked up a grote dual rotator mini lightbar a couple weeks ago and I've noticed when it's real cold the left side rotator never wants to rotate and If I give it a little tap it begins but real slow and sometimes will stop again. The truck was in a shop for a little bit yesterday and after that it worked just fine till it got cold again then sorta seized up. The right side one never has this problem so I'm thinking something maybe wrong with the left side motor or something but was hoping someone may be able to help me out here???

Thanks for any input.

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Its probably just freezing or somethin. Mayby the motor is just a little out place? That happened one time to one of my mini lightbars, just one of the rotators was sticking but the other rotated fine, but after like 5 minutes it started rotating perfect again. what kind of rotator do you have? Is it the newer style or is it a sealed beam par style?

3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Hi, when you say a little out of place do you mean maybe it needs to be adjusted somehow??

I have the 15" high intensity mini lightbar, here is the link, I'm not too sure if it's a newer design or an older one. I've seen this style around on a bunch of the local trucks so figured it must be decent. :waving:
    http://www.grote.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?product_number=76805&x=17&y=8

4. RWK in WI

On one of ours we opened it up and found a small amount of oil rotar. Cleaned it and the drive belt, and lubed the shaft and it worked well since.
    Hope this helps you.

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I had an old 2 bulb beacon driven by a gear box. The grease in the gears was like dry clay and it stripped the gears. My new one starts slow in the cold to but soon picks up speed. Being new maybe the one side is over filled with grease. If its driven by a belt, I'd say RWK has the answer then.