1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stuck!(pics)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, Jan 24, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i was finishing up tonight, from the 6" of snow overnight... now the last 2 days have been in the 40s which turned everything into a skating rink of ice..and no one salts here..so its ungodly slick out.

i went to push into a pile at my grandmothers house and dropped over the edge of the driveway and thats all she wrote...i wiggled the plow as i rocked it...wasnt working since it was glare ice..so i got looking in the garage and found a bag of salt so i put a ton around the rear tires infront an behind...alittle around the front tires but it was mostly snow...after rocking it i finally got her out..took about 20mins tho i ALMOST got my grandmas AWD 300c with blizzaks out to pull it out...but that woulda went over like a lead ballon.

BTW- i've never used ballest before..an tonight the truck was loaded to go to the dump tomarrow..full of trash and im AMAZED at how much more traction i have with some weight back there..i allways run in 4x4..but the rear likes to go side to side on me..tonight not nearly as much..i'll be looking into a good safe way to add weight:jester:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 91AK250

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i always run ballest, even tho my truck doesn't drop much with no weight in the bed when i raise the plow, its night and day how much better it pows with weight, i run anywhere form 600-800 pounds in the bed.

also this is what i use, you can buy it at any home depot/most hardware stores, they range form like 40-60 pounds each depending on which ones they have.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. 91AK250

thanks! i've been looking at different options, i'll have to take a look at home depo tomarrow. im just worried about keeping bed space and keeping it tied down incase of a wreck..

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

If you have a bed liner there is slots for 2x4 2x6 etc. drop one in there and SCREW it down. If not then just make a quick box to put IN FRONT of the tubes to the front of the bed to hold them in place. Easy as pie.

6. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Man, I like that truck, I've never commented before, but it is a nice looking older truck....

7. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I'd say you need different tires if you get stuck in that little of a rut.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would never even think about plowing without these up against the tailgate of pickup!

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

BTDT
    Nothing like getting stuck on a pile at a church where you can't cuss as you dig yourself out. :gunsfiring:

Weight makes a huge difference.

10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

theres about a billon guys who do. u put them up against the gate it keeps them from falling out the back.then u build something that keeps them to the back. i am not one of them i cant see over my gate so it comes off and i have a 2x10 or 2x12 that i put in. i carry cast grates thou. thou this year they keep breaking my hold downs

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i take my tailgate off in the winter so i can see better when backing up, and i just use a 2x4 in the slots in my bed and the bags dont even move.

pics horrible but you get the point.
    [​IMG]

12. OakhillsSnowdiv

OakhillsSnowdiv Member
    from mass

thats to bad , love the truck BTW

13. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

hey AK,

What kind of wings are they?

14. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Ballast is key. I made a frame to hold my ballast in the bed because I take the tail gate off to see better. The frame comes right out if i need to take it out and it just fits in the grooves for 2x4's. I plowed without the sand in one time, it sucked. I can drive much better in snow without going in 4x4 with ballast and the front end doesnt drop to much with the plow. I have about 500 # in the back. Probalby could use a few more bags.

15. 91AK250

i got them from the local boss dealer, they also installed them..they work amazing and are very stout!

the tires are pretty good, they are older BFGs with 95% tread. as i said it was a ice rink...it wouldnt have matterd if i had studed tires it was so bad..once i put some salt down to get atleast ALITTLE traction it pulled itself right out.

i was a bit sad it was the first time this year i got stuck, luckly i got out on my own though hehe:bluebounc

16. KGRlandscapeing

i carry a 30 ft come along 20 ft of chain and a tow rope hopefully never have to use them. but time is money

17. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Are plow guys the only people that carry cameras:waving:

18. 91AK250

that was the funny part, once i got out and looked..i went to grab my camera and was like ****! i frogot it!...luckly my buddy had his :) haha

19. KGRlandscapeing

almost any phone u buy anymore has a camera

20. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Yeah haven't made that jump yet. MY NEXTEL SUCKS. I'm looking to ATT
    for phone,web and weather radar.