1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck on

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Mark Witcher, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Anyone have their Blizzard plow pump stick in the lift position.Only does it in lift mode. When lifting the plow the pump has stuck and I had to unplug the main harness. After it did it numerous times I found that just moving the plug slightly it would stop. I think its in the plug contacts. The lift contact is right next to the main power contact and somehow its making a circuit between them. I cleaned out some accumilated crud in the harness plug and I think I have it solved.

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Mark you may be on the money with crud or ice / water in the plug but also the lift draws the most amps and will cause a solenoid to show failure sooner. I don't know how old your plow is but the older ones used a Western/Fisher style solenoid and were prone to failure on those plows too. Current production uses a much heavier solenoid that produces better amp transfer and less failure.

Jerre

3. Mark Witcher

Its a 2004 model. Seems to be the same as the 8611 I just bought this fall. Anyway there wasnt any ice or water in the plug, just some grime from the dieletric grease mostly in the bottom of the plow side plug. Last year it stuck in the on position and I didnt realize it until I had smoke coming from under the hood of my truck. Small ground cable on battery had fried by the time I got it unpluged. At that time I thought it was the solinoid that had stuck and I replaced it with a new one from Blizzard. Since then I have plowed 200 hours with no trouble until today.

4. Jerre Heyer

Mark, should be a large Trombetta solenoid. Bout half the size of a pop can in height and about that big around.

Plow is grounded to the battery correct? When you say small ground cable on the battery fried are you talking about the one from the solenoids small trigger / ground studs or to the frame ground or body ground?

If it's the frame or body ground wire you have a ground problem either on the plow unit or the plow ground at the battery.

Ground cable on the plow should be to the block between the resivoir and motor or to one of the mounting bolts for that block.

Truck side plow ground should be right to the battery.

J

5. Mark Witcher

None of my plows ( blizzard, boss , meyer) have ever had a solenoid as large as a pop can diameter. All are same size as a starter solenoid. Plow is grounded correctly. It kept sticking today too. Sometimes just tapping the left and right on the joy stick would cause it to release itself. Some times I have to wiggle the main harness plug connection or unplug it. When it sticks unplugging the joystick or turning off the truck ignition wont stop the pump. Could it be a bad solenoid?

6. Jerre Heyer

Sounding like it. OR that it is getting low voltage to the solenoid.

7. Mark Witcher

Well JEERE just to let you know I found the problem this morning. The ground contact in the big harness plug was not making a good connection. I spread the pin on the male end and it worked flawless all day .

8. Jerre Heyer

Mark, Glad you found it. That's why I was asking about ground locations for the wiring on the truck and plow. Poor ground will cause the unit to hunt for ground. It will also cause a partial engagement of the solenoid causing it to lock on. This happens when battery voltage drops down too.

FWIW I would grab a spare solenoid if you don't have one and keep it on hand in the truck with the tools to change it. The old one may have been compromised.

Keep on plowing. Jerre

P.S. Where are you in Washington?

9. Mark Witcher

I do carry a spare selenoid. Thanks
    I am located in Spokane, Wa. We are having the best snow season here since 1993.The plows are getting a real workout. Last sunday we got over 14 inches from one storm. Thats rare for us.

10. Jerre Heyer

Mark, talked to Dan Lincoln in Idaho about an hour south of you yesterday. Looks like when I take vacation to Boise, Seattle/Olympia and around to Yellowstone I'll have a couple of guys to stop and meet.

J

11. Mark Witcher

That would be nice. Hope you can stop by for a chat.

12. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

This problem has happened to me also. The plow would not drop but would angle left and right. Called the dealer and he stated if their is only one function of the plow that does not work its usually a bad connection in the plugs. He stated to unplug them and try it again. This should solve the problem.

My plow has not done this since finding out the solution so I dont know if this will work or not.

John

13. Mark Witcher

Well I thought I had solved the problem thinking it was the plug, because when the plug was wiggled it would stop it for a while. Well it started doing it again the next day. I now really have solved the problem . It was a lack of a good ground between my battery and body/frame on the truck.
    So Jerre was right all along. :)

14. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Are/were you stacking snow?
    Got an intersting call yesterday. Plow wont move, nothing, zip, nada. Stuck in up position.
    I ask: Is solenoid clicking?
    Answer. No
    Do you have power to brown trigger wire with controller function engaged?
    Long pause, Aahhh, No
    Do you have power at fused red wire going to control box?
    Fuse is good (Note, that doesnt answer my question)

I'm headed that direction so I throw in test light and tell operator to set tight.
    I arrive and yes plow is just as he says, stuck fully up. I confirm no power at solenoid trigger under function use, next step no power at controller, fuse is good, but vehicle fuse blown at tap location. (Note to self, Why not tap to non fused side, as tap is fused?) Replace/fix this then I get left/right function and wing function, but no down, and again blow fuse when hit down on joy stick. Alright, now more information for ya, as I said plow is up, and I mean up, with hardpack snow, now more like ice b/w bumper and cover which looks deformed.

I say cover has to come off, so light bar off, and then dig out cover with hammer claw ( I say careful, may find a wayward hanging wire) Cover off, and Bingo, pinched off wire. Quick strip and reconnect, and hit the switch. Problem solved.

I explained you have a snowplow, not a bulldozer. Left him to resolve deformed cover with hole punched in it from relief valves, and bent cover hold down tabs.

15. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Still, don't rule out the solenoid, once it has experienced this condition, I've seen it kinda be an intermittant issue, sometimes engaging and working properly, and other times being flaky and sticking on.