1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck in the up position

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by tystick22, Oct 26, 2008.

1. tystick22

tystick22 Junior Member

I am looking for help/opinions on what may be the issue with my snow-way. When I parked it for the season last year it got stuck in the raised position and would not lower. I use a tethered directional. The service guy swapped out mine with the dealers controller but no luck. I'm going to hook it back up and take it in, but I would like know what could be wrong and cost of parts or repairs. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

C or F valve stuck would be my first guess.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What series of plow do you own? Give us some additional information and we should be able to help you out. I would agree with Basher in that the valves he mentions could be possibilities. I can think of a couple of others possibilities depending on the plow model and what options it may have.

Does the plow angle normally?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm guessing SMO-01 based on the "tethered directional."

One other question; is your travel lock in place?:eek:

5. tystick22

tystick22 Junior Member

I'm not sure of the model as it was included w/my '96 Ram 1500 when I bought it.
    Serial # - HTD200152. The blade measures a little over 7 ft and is lexan.
    thanks for the replies.

6. tystick22

tystick22 Junior Member

If I remember correctly the plow angled left and right.

Basher...I'm green when it comes to plows. What is a travel lock?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's red and might be around your lift ram.

Your serial # says you have a 7'6" HT plow with Down pressure. three pin mount with the SMO-01 Hydraulics.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Lay on the ground and look at the bottom of the plow frame.You will see the lift cylinder and it may have the red piece on it Basher was talking about.

9. TheSnowBlaster

TheSnowBlaster Junior Member

I am actually having the same exact problem with our plow, so any help would be appreciated. It moves up and side to side, but will not lower. I will supply serial # tomorrow.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah we need to know what it is to be of any real help. You don't know the model?

11. TheSnowBlaster

Our plow is the 24 series, 3-pin, with down pressure.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

check the lift valve first. Make sure the coil is magnetizing and if so remove ,inspect and clean the valve itself.

The Link to the manual for your plow

http://www.snoway.com/service/Fenner Repair/97100036A.pdf

If you go to my website follow the technical reference link and click snoway. that will take you directly to the publications library.

What happens when you hit down pressure?

13. TheSnowBlaster

Our serial # is 24G101077

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You do not have down pressure that is a Gravity drop plow.

15. TheSnowBlaster

Basher,
    Thanks for the info. We just purchased the plow used of course, and the gentlemen indicated that the plow has down pressure and the controller has a down pressure light that does light up when the down button is pushed. I am new to this plow, so it might not have down pressure, but either way it is stuck. Thanks

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The DP control box will run the Gravity plow. the manual is the same good luck.

While you're cleaning things do the spool valve as well. All the instructions are in the book.

Hollar if you need help:waving:

17. TheSnowBlaster

Basher,
    Once again thank you for your help! The issue was that we had the DP toggle switch on and because the plow was not a DP plow it was not allowing the plow to lower. The plow does lower rather quickly, so we are going to look in the manual that you provided and adjust that issue, so thanks for the help. If I ever come to PA (not likely), I will buy you lunch.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the unit have a toggle switch out on the pump cover?

19. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

This is what I was suspecting earlier when I posted in the thread. I am curious if this was the solution.

20. TheSnowBlaster

No it just has a toggle on the controller for the DP, but no other toggle on the pump cover.