1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stuck in mud

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ed m, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ed m

ed m Junior Member
    from Del

hi, if this has been answered before i apoligize, i havent been able to find it,
    i have a 2500 dodge,2001 with a western unimount,
    the frame has been getting me in trouble lately with some soft ground, i also do a lot of hunting and while offroad i keep getting hung up, is there a way to raise the frame or has anyone done a skid plate that will lift me up rather than dragging me down,
    i thought about unbolting the frame but thats a PITA becuase mostly its inthe winter when i'm getting stuck

2. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Either un-bolt it or buy an ultra-mount and an ultra to uni-mount adapter.

A skid plate wouldnt help much. Its still hanging low...

You could probably raise it an inch or two, but not sure if that will help you out all that much. I believe the bottom hole is supposed to be 9.5"-10.5" from the ground. On my 97 with the uni-mount mount, I have it about 12.5" from the ground for a little better back dragging. On my 96 I have the ultra mount so clearance w/o the plow is not an issue.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

this is why I think other manufacturers, especially boss need to reinvent the mounts. it only snows a few months a year, and those of us that offroad, hunt, hike, camp, etc need the ground clearance.