1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stuck in a hard place need expert advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QKSnowRemoval, Mar 13, 2014.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

so the start of the 2013/2014 season has been great since we actually got some decent snow in December for once but thats when everything started to change. so since 2010 i have been running an 06 dodge 2500 cummins with snowdogg ex80 straight blade with wings, so its 10 ft. bought the plow new in 2010 and has been great till this year and the plow in general has just been falling to pieces no joke. i mean before this year i would have occasional turn signal issues but that was it. but the plow worked every time i hooked it up and was fast. this year it was completely different. so first i had to replace the headlight adapters due to no headlights and corrosion, then power wires on plow side due to low connection and broken cages on prongs, then come to find out there was a short from wiring rubbing when installed back in 2010 so had to replace all power harness and controller cuz it shorted out as well. so after i got that fixed it worked great and was fast,then i lost all my headlights so off to get a new truck side light harness. fixed that and has been running but not 100 percent, plow is very slow lifting and angling. have checked oil and flushed it but still slow im almost feeling the motor is going out. other minor things i have had to replace is snow flap broke it off being so cold and then lost the moldboard to my wing. it just rattled lose and fell off one night and lost it, still haven't replaced it cuz its 180 bucks so i took my wings off :( lost productivity. so all in all i have spent 1200 bucks keeping this thing running to get threw the winter.i know break downs happen but im just sick of it! So this is where i need advice im thinking of sending it down the road cuz im tired of electrical issues with trucks and other bs,i know too btw having a dodge doesnt help ether but im considering buying a skid steer with a kage innovation or buy the kage and renting or lease skid steer for the season. 90% of my accounts are one town, they make up commercial and some driveways so im thinking of leaving it there and trailer it to other towns if need be but in my head a skidsteer is faster and can handle more situations then a truck could even dream about, otherwise maybe get a new plow on the truck if i have to, im open to suggestions tho too. please help!

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Buy a Boss, Western, or Hiniker v plow.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Having a Dodge is not the problem. Lots of guys run Dodges. I don't, but they all have problems, so don't even worry about that.

As for the plow, I replaced my pump and motor on my Blizzard this year, that's going on 6 seasons and a lot more snow than you get in those 6 seasons, especially a couple of those years.

Honestly, and hopefully this doesn't upset the sponsors, but you get what you pay for. I got what I paid for when I bought a Buyer's UTG spreader. I learned my lesson, my suggestion is that you do to.

4. QKSnowRemoval

yeah i completely agree with you on that man, buyers is cheaper up front but in long long run doesn't last so u didnt hurt my feelings. for plows i have had a western before and liked it so im kinda looking a a mvp3 if i get a new plow. Btw i have only owned dodges all my life so i use to hearing it all lol :laughing:

5. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I also have a Dodge, an '03 2500 Cummins. It has had its fair share of issues. More than enough if you ask me. Putting a plow on it just made everything fail whole lot faster. Before I began to plow I didn't think about how much wear and tear there was on the equipment. The equipment you hang on the front takes a beating. Do the math. Figure out how much you paid for it and how much you made. If you made money, no complaints. If it's been costing you money then that makes your decision easier.

6. procut

procut Senior Member

I hate to start bashing anything but the other replies pretty much cover it. I have one Buyers product, and yes it's built cheap as heck if you compare it to the equivalent model from the competition that I also own. However, the price reflects that, as the Buyers was nearly 50% of the cost new.

7. QKSnowRemoval

thanks for the thoughts guys!

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a boss V going on 5 seasons.. We have never even changed the fluid..

I phased out my last 2 meyer set ups this past season to Boss.. I didnt have 1 plow problem all season.. Couldn't be leave it.

Skid loader with a box will make a big difference... Great to have for heavy snows as well

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

You get what you pay for! I had a salt dogg spreader and it didn't even last a month before it need new parts.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Some may not like my advice, but here it goes anyways.

LEARN more about your plow. They aren't magic. Anyone can fix these things with a little knowledge of automotive electrical and minimal hydraulic understanding. A lot of these repairs you paid for could have been done in your garage at home with a test light, wire cutters, strippers (wire kind not exotic), soldering kit and some tape. Keep a handful of spare parts on stand by. Personally I think EVERY plow owner/operator should have a working knowledge of his/her own equipment.

Alternatively, keep buying new plows (the cheapest is probably worth the same as the better stuff afterwards) and depreciate its value on your taxes then sell it off every three years before it becomes trouble! This is probably the best route for the non-hands-on types.