1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck in 4 high

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 4speed, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 4speed

4speed Member

04 2500hd 6.0 gasser. When I push the lever back to 2wd the front remains engaged. After a while It will pop out with a loud clunk. I'm getting ready to put it up on stands now. Any hints what to look for?
  2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

the differential solineoid is sticking. shouldnt be that expensive or hard
  3. 4speed

4speed Member

Thanks Evanbrendel
    That's what i figured. I've just never worked on this electronic stuff before
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the lever is moving then the T-case is shifting out of 4X4, it's just not disengaging the axle actuator. Which is what you're hearing "clunk" once it does.

It may be the actuator itself casing the issue but more then likely it's the actuator switch on the top of the T-case that's sticking. Should change it first as it's way less expensive than the actuator and a much much more common cause of this issue.
  5. 4speed

4speed Member

Thanks B&B. Spent The $100 On the actuator and it didn't fix the problem. I'll try the switch tomorrow. Good thing my brother in law works at the parts store!
  6. 4speed

4speed Member

I've talked to my friend at the dealer and he says the switch ( part # 12473227 ) Has been discontinued ! I checked with my brother in law at napa and at carquest and they were unable to cross reference the part # or to come up with this switch for my truck. any Ideas? Does anyone have a part #?
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Find a new dealer, should still be available.
  8. Spiegel's

Spiegel's Junior Member

ahhhh the old electronic 4x4 chevy.... ball switch on the transfer case is sticking and it will eventually go out..... i ran new power to it via a togge switch in mine last year....$10 fix works fantastic.... throw the switch to power the actuator and shift it in 4 hi or low
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No his dealer is 100% correct. Checked the network and they were in fact discontinued. Odd to say the least too, that was a component used up until the 2007 model year and there's nothing that supersede's it.

4speed, if you want one I may have a new one on the shelf at the shop. I can check tomorrow if you like.
  10. 4speed

4speed Member

Let me know B&B. I'll check in from work later.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sworn I had one on the shelf but it seems I don't. But checking the network MacIntyre Chevrolet shows one in stock. Give them a call and ask for Boyd Musser in the parts dept. Shouldn't be a problem to ship it to you.

MacIntyre Chevrolet Oldsmobile Cadillac Buick Pontiac
    Lock Haven, PA
    (570) 748-4068